Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Handicap tracking? Course statistics?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:22 PM (4 replies)
  • bjohn13
    8 Posts
    Fri, Dec 25 2009 9:14 AM
    Hello, The two things I'd like to see added are actually two of the things that I like best about the actual game of golf. During the season, I play every day as many holes as possible. I enjoy watching my handicap fluctuate....and gradually get better. A player's handicap seems to give a better impression on how he is playing than a scoring average. Also...course statistics are fun to compare. I find most of the items I need to work on by looking at how I shoot each hole.
  • Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Dec 25 2009 3:48 PM

This has been kicked around before...the real difference between a handicap system and our scoring averages is how potential is measured.  Here, a player that posts all his scores can move up and down quite rapidly.  Although posting every score is admirable, a player can manipulate this to stay in a particular tier indefinitely...making the negative aspects of sandbagging more prevalent.  And since this game allows one to quit at any time, as if the round never happened, averages can lower rapidly by simply posting your best rounds.  This can have a negative aspect as well in that players may escape into new acounts to start over again after biting off more than they can chew...which, by the way, is against the rules.       

I'd like to see the WGT develop a system that measures true potential with little or no weight given to poor play.  Take into account incomplete rounds, course difficultly (including wind and green speeds), equipment used, 18 hole as opposed to  9 hole rounds, what tees we play from and even the number of times a particular course is played under the same conditions and the same hole locations.

Joey

• bjohn13
    8 Posts
    Fri, Dec 25 2009 8:09 PM

Thanks for your response.

Handicap tracking need not necessarily impact tier advancement, though I can understand the question of why it would be necessary otherwise.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 11:17 AM

In the big scheme of things, its only a game.  We all have different expectations and we get out what we put in.  As for me, I am glad I found this place.

Joey

• bjohn13
    8 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:22 PM
    Can't say I disagree. I'm liking the game. It's been a nice replacement for the real thing over the winter months. However, it sure would be nice to know exactly how well/poorly I shoot on Bethpage hole number 15 over the long term. I'm thinking my arch nemesis hole, though, is number 17 on Kiawah. I've had numerous rounds there that would have been under par if not for a snowman or worse on that dastardly demonic doozie.
RSS