Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Playing higher tiers

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 9 2024 6:28 AM (7 replies)
  • tnivka
    137 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2024 10:14 AM

Never gotten a clear understanding of this.

Play against a Tour Legend or higher, and the greens max out at 13. But what else on the course changes? Is the hole larger against a TL, and smaller against a TC? Does a pancake green become more hilly? Doesn't seem like the wind gets stronger. Thanks...

• AlaskanDame
    19,441 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2024 5:45 PM

Only the green speed changes.

However, a putt has to be hit with less power on a 13 green, meaning the putt will break more, so the green might SEEM “more hilly.”

• tnivka
    137 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2024 2:16 PM

The question stands. Green speed peaks at 13. But the courses are equally challenging for all tiers TL and above?

• Stlkcdc3
    324 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2024 6:24 AM

Most peak at C13, but some of the TC weekly tournaments have played 14 or even 14.5.

Same course, same greens. Putting at 7.9 - 9.0 on a green versus 13 - 14.5 plays like a totally different green. The first time you miss a 6ft putt and it ends up 33 yards away in the fairway it will make sense. WC5 and WC13 come to mind.  

• phipster
    4,545 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2024 10:03 AM

Once you achieve Legend tier you start playing from the back tees and once you make Tour Legend you start putting on 13 speed greens and that's it...

Champions and above are just better at or at least more consustent at scoring low in ranked games with those conditions...

If you play 'alternate shot' or other multiplayer games then the conditions always default to the highest tier player with Tour Masters and below just enjoying play off shorter tee boxes...

I hope that answers your question...

• borntobesting
    9,686 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2024 10:23 AM

phipster:
    Once you achieve Legend tier you start playing from the back tees and once you make Tour Legend you start putting on 13 speed greens and that's it...

Well not actually, As a TC the Champion tourney the green speed is 14 and the single play 9 hole tourney the green speed is 14.5

• tnivka
    137 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2024 5:05 PM

Sigh. 

No.

When I play a TL, the speed is 13. The same putt that hits the center of the cup would be a yard away against a TC.

The courses play differently depending on who's in the foursome, and it's separate from the standard "hot one day, cold the next" deviation we all know and idolize.

Respectfully, a TC might not be as attuned to this as a grinder.

• BlackBogey
    491 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2024 6:28 AM

From personal experience, it seems like it might be in your head.  A green speed is a green speed. Now WGT may "tweak" them from time to time after an update, but I've never noticed it from game to game based on who's playing.  I have noticed my calculations for a 13 green before an update might be slightly off after the update, but it's an "across-the-board" change.

I play quite often with TCs all the way down to TMs, and the calculations don't change game to game for a 10 foot putt 2 inches downhill based on who I'm playing against.  If a putt drops in at perfect speed against a TL and goes 3 feet past/offline against a TC you likely misread the second a little, or there was some weird stuff going on with elevation between the ball and hole with the TC (might show 10', -2", but in reality it's -6" for the first 8' but then rises 4" at 2' from the hole).

I also think the lower the tier, the more forgiveness and precision they get.  Meaning if I play a Legend and I'm a Champ, we both have the same ball/putter and exact same putt, the Legend might be able to get away with a slight misread or misding, whereas I might not.  The game expects me to be "better" and not make that mistake so will punish me more for it.  You can call it "making the hole bigger" or whatever.  That part I do believe exists, the rest not so much. 

RSS