Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I am a real golfer...

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 4 2012 8:45 PM (7 replies)
  • Sinistem
    24 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:30 PM

...and if I could only use a virtual set of vintage Mcgregor diamond-back blade irons here, ( like my '59 SS2's) I'd prolly be legend already! (not)

seriously., I'm a great iron player in real life.( but only drive 230-250 max.)lol

...as for realism at WGT...first of all, there is no such thing as top spin in real golf.

also in real golf the equipment is NOT what gets you longer or straighter or anything else...it's the indian, not the bow and arrow.

all said, I'm glad to be here!

cheers

Sinistem

• bulfrog2004
    102 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:55 AM

Sin

I play golf in real life as well and I will refute both of your points...

1st there IS top spin in real golf played on Saturday and watched a guy top one about 30 yards

2nd equipment does make the ball go further and straighter without a doubt take an old school Persimmon Driver and Balata balls vs. Pro V 1 Xs, and a TaylorMade R11 and see which set goes straighter and further.

In all seriousness the idea of "top spin" in WGT is no different than saying ok I'm going to really swing at this one or I'm going to try to flight the ball lower thus lowering the spin.  Glad to have you here and enjoy this fun game!

• Sinistem
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:08 AM

bulfrog2004:

1st there IS top spin in real golf played on Saturday and watched a guy top one about 30 yards

Ha ha, yeah at best (or worst) there is no spin or worm burners!

2nd equipment does make the ball go further and straighter without a doubt take an old school Persimmon Driver and Balata balls vs. Pro V 1 Xs, and a TaylorMade R11 and see which set goes straighter and further.

Hey no fair pulling the persimmons/ balata  thing...those were the days of muscleback blades too.

Big point is the golf manufacturing industry (and WGT) has it in their interest to have us buying a new equipment every year using the latest techno-babble to cause buyers delusions of improving their game.

The idea the equipment will improve your game may be true at WGT but in the real world its mostly false. Amateur scores have have not improved for  multiple decades despite  golfclub science.

Thanks for the reply, Bulfrog!

cheers

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 11:50 AM

Think of the spin as where the ball is in your stance. Before spin adjustments here there was a stance adjustment (before my time.) One was turned into the other.

• Sinistem
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 12:30 PM

YankeeJim:

Think of the spin as where the ball is in your stance. Before spin adjustments here there was a stance adjustment (before my time.) One was turned into the other.

Ahh yes, the stance adjustment...now that I can relate to!

Thanks Jim

• NYCBULLDOG
    1 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2012 10:29 AM

Virtual Vintage set of Hagen Ultras and Mac 85's...i'll buy that in a sec!! (with the correct audible sound of course!) I really do not want to buy the "frying Pan" drivers if i don't have to.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:25 AM

Sinistem:
    also in real golf the equipment is NOT what gets you longer or straighter or anything else...it's the indian, not the bow and arrow.

He's right, give me a old 80's set of golf clubs, and the brand new G20's i would hit as bad with either. It might make you "feel" better with the brand new clubs in your bag, but it wouldn't make NO difference to my game.  FOUR!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2012 8:45 PM

bulfrog2004:

That guy hit above the equator (center) of the ball, and topped it. No one could ever hit a golf ball like that and effectively make it travel 300 yards and have extra roll-out like the ball does in the game.

Sini makes a very good point about the Indian and the bow and arrow. The equipment is only the tool to hit the ball, by itself it can't do nothing. But if you put that equipment in Bubba Watson's hands he'll hit the ball 350 yards every-time. Put that same equipment you mentioned in my hands and I can only hit the ball 250 yards, maybe.

RSS