Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Why don't you just ban me?

Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:35 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:08 AM

The freedom of speech is something I treasure. Reading the words of others is useful in many ways. It identifies the wise, the intelligent, the well educated, the creative, the visionary, the uneducated, the ignorant, the dull witted, the angry, the uncouth, the rude, the vulgar and the stupid. It is the value of this freedom. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. I find it incredible to imagine that an omnipotent monarch exists with the elevated talent to cherry pick, for everyone else, what should be read and what should be deleted. I prefer to make my own choices.  

• holebrowser
    21 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:21 AM

I agree, freedom of speech is paramount and sometimes spam isn't that bad........if you fry it, serve it on white bread with a little dijon mustard, it's actually quite tasty.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:35 AM

OMG!! That stuff will never be tasty................(shudder/gag)

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:36 AM

Agreed in regards to freedom of speech.

Trolls also provide me with some comedic relief, and yes, even our resident, living in his mom's basement pretending to be a software engineer troll.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:42 AM

Perhaps I should share my famous pineapple upside bean spam lasagna recipe. Evereyone agrees that it is unforgetable.

• TAISTO
    16 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:47 AM

Can I read a thread without so much Spam in it?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:54 AM

Here's an interesting discussion on another forum about the merits of Freedom of Speech vs Reality on the internets.

richlowe from another forum:
    Our forums are not intended to promote freedom of speech at the cost of losing members, upsetting the group as a whole, or causing problems. They are intended to communicate about certain issues.

Thus, the moderators of the forums have a responsibility to ensure that posts which the group would find upsetting, grossly off-topic or designed to cause trouble (flaming, for example) are deleted and members who continually violate this are removed...

A moderator must be ruthless or the group is in danger. In fact, a moderator who is not actively deleting posts on a regular basis and banning unruly members is not doing his job.

I tend to agree with most of those folks, including the quote above.  WGT has the responsibility, first and foremost, to protect it's community.  Absolute free speech does not exist anywhere, on a forum or in the streets.  A classic example of that is yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.  You will get arrested and any "Freedom of Speech" argument will fall on it's face.

If you truly want free speech, then write a blog, otherwise we're bound to the rules that WGT sets forth in it's Terms & Conditions that govern our use of the site.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 9:35 AM

It is my view that this line of reason is precisely why the Bill of Rights has become almost meaningless. It leads me to believe that a person who reads nothing at all is closer to the truth than one who reads and believes only what has been pre-selected and officially approved by strangers.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:10 AM

While the USA certainly enjoys freedom of speech, along with a few other countries, keep in mind WGT is a privately owned company, and does not have to allow posts it deems unnecessary or against the TOS. Those familiar with forums should already be aware of this.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:35 AM

Hi Git, I assume you are talking about yesterday's post removals. Birdwell and YJ were right--sometimes posts are removed along with the bad ones because they belong in the same thread and leaving them would make the dialogue off-topic or disjointed. We try to avoid this, but sometimes it happens.

• PAGES
RSS