Help › Forums

Re: To Ding or not to Ding? that is the question

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:58 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MUSTAQBAL1
    270 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:37 AM

hey jalabar, i've heard of others playing by just feel and it is intriguing.  usually i play by feel on very short putts and that's it.  the rest of the time, it is adjusting and dinging.  it would be interesting to know what per centage of the top players on here like yourself use this method of playing and whether or not there is a higher chance of winning or posting better scores.  come to think of it, dinging is downright aggravating at times, lol.  you must be really good at shot shaping by playing this way.  anyway, thanks for the insight.

qbal

• Gobarg
    41 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 11:07 PM

I gotta say jalabar that the way you are playing is pretty much what I have been doing

I would class myself as a FEEL player

Great post BTW

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:00 AM

Great post Jalabar, and I think Icon's, yours and my posts are all a good reflection of the real game of golf, or any game for that matter.  Everyone has a method that works for them.  Would you tell Jim Furyk to change his swing?  Or John Daly to shorten his.

There are always 'perfect' ways to do everything, but as a qualified coach in two sports and playing many others myself, I know that not everyone can do it the 'perfect' way, so you have to do the best you can by finding the method that works best for you.  But then don't let it rest there either; keep trying new methods, you never know where that one less shot in the next round is going to come from.  And on WGT one shot can move you up many places.

When I was at school (yes, yes, it was a few years ago!) Shot Putt was done by 'sliding' from the back to the front of the circle in an explosive way and then turning and projecting the heavy ball in a forwards direction.  I became county champion at shot putt, but not by 'sliding'; my muscles seem to be made up of mainly slow-twitch fibres (it took me 17 seconds to 'run' the 100 metres!) and so I never had that required explosion, so I used to shuffle across the circle and with my body strength I was still able to beat the other competitors most of the time irrespective of which method they used.  You look now though and all top shot putters spin across the circle as they can gather more, and more importantly, an even build-up of speed, thus allowing them to 'throw' it further.  It may only be a few centimetres further, but those few centimetres could be the difference between winning and... I was going to say 2nd, but the true answer would be 'not winning'.

• Westview
    31 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:24 AM

I am only a run of the mill player (63.35 average score) but I always miss to aim on short putts that have plenty of break. Otherwise I always ding.

Missing to aim becomes more difficult with forgiving putters like the Nike.

• caddymatt
    48 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:15 AM

Some ding, some don't. If I had to ding every shot I'd still be a pro. I'll be a legend very soon and would put my game up against anyone. Don't knock it till you tried it. We all have to have fun playing the game, so we play the best way we can. Lets have some fun here guys!!!!!

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 7:41 AM

It like any thing you have to do what works for you.  Personally, I WISH I could ding 100% of the time.  I know that when I am having good days on here, it is because I am hitting the ding a higher number of times per round, including putting.  The Ghost Putter that I use, is somewhat ding dependent for accuracy, yep it will luck a few in sometimes when I miss the ding but I have quite a few rather long putts that I wouldn't have made had I missed the ding.  Same is true for tee and fairway shots.  This is a game and the way they have it programmed, the ding is supposed to take out some of the variables.

Played two rounds with guys last night, skins game first and I couldn't find the ding, then took a short break and fixed a problem with my computer and played a blitz and shot incredibly well for me scoring over 300,000 on a round.  That second round I played I was hitting the ding on most every shot, it does make a difference.  If you are having to compensate for break or wind and trying to do that with a missed ding, it would seem to me that would make it much more difficult. but I haven't tried it that way so I am just guessing at that based on what I see from the way that I play.

I don't think it's wrong but just seems like it would be harder to do.

• Gobarg
    41 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 3:24 PM

As with just about all techniques, if you are using one type you look at another way and think to yourself that it looks way harder than the one you are using.

From my reading here I can see that there are a number of variations in the way "feel" is applied to this game.

Somewhere is the middle between "DING" and "FEEL' lurks the "WAY" for all of us I guess.

I know that every time I have changed clubs I have had to modify the way I play to accommodate different meter speeds, club distances, etc.

I really appreciate the comments that you people have added. 

Now out to the practice range and try everything till something works for you.

Has anyone else noticed that this game has affected their "Real Life" game?

• labordayk
    389 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:32 PM
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:26 PM

Gobarg:
    Has anyone else noticed that this game has affected their "Real Life" game?

Too right it has, it takes several holes to seperate your virtual golfing brain from what you are really capable of in RL.

Quite funny really thinking you can cream a 300 plus yard drive with pinpoint accuracy, or flop  to within inches of the hole every time.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:58 PM

I've noticed that every time I hit the ding I begin to salivate.

I've also noticed that invariably when this happens my dog is taking notes.

Sincerely,

Pavlov

• PAGES
RSS