Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Way to practice Tournament Greens and Championship Greens

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:05 AM (6 replies)
  • ccooper18
    57 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:22 AM

Is there a way to do this.  I am at master tier with no way to set up a practice on these green speeds.  I play in ready go's that have these green speeds but without proper practice it makes it rather difficult.  Any ideas would be welcomed.  

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:41 AM

Practice to do what? Just play.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:52 AM

Tournament greens - play a CC comp, set with tournament greens. Preferably unlimited play.

Championship greens - you cannot play it named as Championship without paying credits, but if you play a ranked or scored multiplayer game against a Legend on Oakmont it's as fast as Championship IMO.

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 7:51 AM

Hey Ccooper, Tourny greens are a pain in the anterior at first but after  you play them for a while, you will like them.  Big clue though, approach shots are crucial when playing any greens but moreso in tourney greens like Oakmont or Congressional.  Get as close as you can (sort of goes without saying) but making a 25 to 30 foot putt on these greens is a royal PITA.

Practice tourny greens in your clubs tourneys.  Get the owner of the club to put some tourneys out there with unlimited play and spend a lot of time on them.  Different courses every week too, they all don't play the same nor the same speed.  Some are much faster than others and when you have played them for a while you will see that the slower ones are about like VFG's.

A good rule of thumb for most tourney greens on putts longer than like 10 feet is 75% rule.  30 footer putt it like it is 22 and 1/2 compensate for break and uphill/downhill lie.   30 foot putt with a 6 inch uphill grade, calculate it as a 36 footer and putt it at around 27 etc.  and it varies from green to green but not by a lot. After you have used that fort a while, you will see where you need to make adjustments based on your skills and experience.

• cmey45
    11 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 8:19 AM

quit

• ccooper18
    57 Posts
    Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:25 PM

Thanks for the advice folks.  I will definatly start making tournaments in the country club with tourney greens now.   

Phiber, i never looked at adjusting that way for the distances but i will have to try that now.  Is it just me or do the championship greens at Cabo play exactly the same as the tourney greens?

• SFK1944
    4 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:05 AM

Helpful rule of thumb, Phiber.

RSS