Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Are balls the biggest thing to upgrade at the beginning?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 24 2012 4:01 PM (3 replies)
  • mucket72
    13 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 3:43 AM

I have been a WGT member for about 7 wks. Though it says PRO on my profile...I know I'm a rookie. I got the Starter Plus set with slight upgrades for Driver, Hybred, and 60 degree wedge. I am beginning to think that the most important upgrade(before I sink a Bazillion dollars into real upgrades, anyway) is the quality of balls(no snickering please). The added distance and spin with the better balls seems to have more of an effect on my game than anything else at the present time. Would love to hear your comments. TY. May the wind be at your backs.

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 7:36 AM

With starter clubs (or there about), look for a ball with increased feel to slow the meter down, and increased distance.

Don't spend a lot of money on balls with increased spin because you don't have the clubs to take advantage of it. You could have the Nike S ball, but with a starter wedge, it's just not going to make much of a difference.

I would start with a modest upgrade to see how it affects your game, then experiment with others to see which one you like best.

When you buy some quality wedges and learn all the shots around the green (full swing, punch, flop, pitch, and chip) and when to use them, that's when you'll want a high quality ball.

If you're still trying to figure out the difference between these shots and when to use them, you might just be developing an expensive habit unnecessarily.

The gear and ball will eventually choose you, not the other way around. Until then, remember that it's a game of graduation, learn the little differences before trying to make a major change.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 8:02 AM

Mucket, you're not at the beginning. You've advanced to level 55, which means soon you will have some awesome clubs available in the form of the G20s at level 59. You should able to play those to Legend. (I say this based on playing the predecessor G10s, but the G20s have more forgiveness and a slow meter, so they should be better.) That's 40 bucks, but you still need a good putter and 3 good wedges. If you go for clubs like these, I would start playing them with the starter balls or 10-cent balls to see how good you can get at hitting the ding without moving into the more expensive balls - you pay a lot for the 'feel', which slows down the meter. The clubs are a one-time purchase, but if you get hooked on slow balls it is a financial drain going forward. You should ultimately be able to play these clubs superbly with the WGT ball that has 1 dot of feel and 2 dots of spin and distance (about 40 cents per sleeve - I forget exactly) after practising with the faster balls.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 4:01 PM

Don't start spending lots of credits on balls until you have good clubs.

RSS