Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Help!...on the greens

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 28 2012 9:53 PM (5 replies)
  • Hepnese
    5 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 6:39 PM

OK I am relatively new to the game but can anyone tell me how to keep the ball from rolling past the pin every time I hit a green??  My approach shots are torture for me right now.  I can't figure out whether to hit it short (and risk a bunker, etc) or aim for the green itself, but so often when I do the latter, it hits, bounces, and rolls off with extreme velocity onto the rough behind.  I have tried backspin, punch shot, you name it.  Does anyone have any tips on this??  Thanks!

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 4:49 PM

better balls[more spin]  better irons,better wedges....any thing is better than the free starter equipment. more importantly...practice and experiment  and try to learn.lastly on approach shots,are you figuring in wind speed and direction?  and the elevation  up/down?

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:25 PM

Hepnese:
    can anyone tell me how to keep the ball from rolling past the pin every time I hit a green?

You can go a pretty good distance in this game without spending a cent. Peruse the freebies.

Never use any club with 'EZ' in its name. You'll never achieve any success with them.

For relatively few credits, you can buy some pretty decent clubs. The credits can be earned for free. Go to 'Get Credits' and follow your nose. 

If doing the surveys and watching the horrific videos proves too much, then plunk down some bucks. The better the club, the better the success.

• Kindle2010
    602 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:51 PM

Firstly sort out the bag, see you 2 drivers, 2 wood, a hybrid, but no wedges. Get rid of the ezy swing clubs, they are just awful, put back your wedges.

Next you need to consider that your clubs are not very good, especially in terms of spin and precession, which means you have little stopping power.

So either take the advise as above and buy some better clubs, or keep them and learn how each one react to specific shots. Keep some notes, ie this club goes ex yards etc, basically learn what they can do.

It is more than possible to get to master level with stater clubs and balls, you just have to learn how to play with them.

from memory, you need to player starter clubs with a bump and run style, ie land short and let the ball run up onto the green. 

You might also consider joining a Country club and making some friends and learning from them, most clubs have higher tiered players happy to help new comers. 

• Hepnese
    5 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:53 AM

thanks for the advice.  dumping "EZ" clubs was a huge improvement.  I will keep practicing and see how it goes.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 9:53 PM

Hepnese:
    dumping "EZ" clubs was a huge improvement

Amen brother. Sheesh. Wish they'd come up with a way to dump them from inventory. What a waste of space. WGT needs a trash bin.  

Best advice I can give. Start watching videos now. Save those credits 'til level 51 and get the Method putter. There is NO putter easier to ding. It does suffer from the 'shorts' a bit. Give it an extra 2-3 feet. You'll sink bunches.

RSS