Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Lvl77 Legend needs help

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:02 PM (6 replies)
  • Bonez2k6
    35 Posts
    Mon, Feb 27 2012 3:15 PM

Just dinged Legend on previous round. Was wondering if I could get some equipment advice between now and Lvl90 that could help... Any help would be appreciated...

Bonez

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 1:51 AM

hi

many of us used g10's and raptures off legend tees. yes, it was harder, yes, it's hard to compete with higher end clubs but by going through the process, you will learn the courses much better, able to manage them better, scramble for pars and just gain knowledge that's hard to replicate by using other clubs.

-wgticon

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:46 AM

Bonez2k6:
    Just dinged Legend on previous round. Was wondering if I could get some equipment advice between now and Lvl90 that could help

Congratulations on making Legend.

I don't have any equipment advice because I'm no further along than you, but I can offer some other advice.

Every course changes from TM to Legend. Some become much harder and some, by comparison, become easier.

Kiawah goes from a birdie factory at TM to an extremely long course with much harder greens.

Congressional on the other hand, doesn't get much harder and, compared to Kiawah, becomes more attractive.

Bethpage has always favored shot selection and finesse over power, so from the legend tees, this is probably the easiest course at which to get "hot".

Royal St. George's is always a challenge, and even more so from the tips, but still rewards creativity and ability to read the wind. It also has slightly slower greens than the other links course, St. Andrews.

St. Andrews becomes an exercise in adaptation, like it's always been, but the skating rink greens yield far fewer birdies than what you may be used to.

Oakmont stays just as unputtable and frustrating as it's always been.

BTW

I have a CC specifically for Low Level-High Tiered players like you. It's a pretty good arena to learn how to play competitively using less than optimal equipment. If you're interested, request an invite to YGCC and you can give it a try.

gl and congrats again.

• Tamsach
    2,823 Posts
    Wed, Feb 29 2012 6:44 AM

You are already well equipped. The only thing u could do is to change G10 with G20 for having more control of the shots.

• sardono
    114 Posts
    Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:18 AM

Bonez2k6:

Just dinged Legend on previous round. Was wondering if I could get some equipment advice between now and Lvl90 that could help... Any help would be appreciated...

Bonez

I am impressed. If I was in your position, I would not change a thing until you reach level 79. Then you will have a choice to make. Buy the level 79 Burners, which will penalize you for missed dings severely . Or wait until the lower 80's and get the new G-20's that are coming out soon.

I have a legend buddy that I play with, that also just turned 2 week's ago. He's already at level 90 so he has access to all the clubs, and has rented the level 90 R-11's. He too is waiting to see if the new G-20's are as good as they should be. If so that's what he will buy. In the mean time he's playing his g-10's.

If you were so inclined, you might want to check the higher level Cleveland wedges out, I rented the lower level ones, and was not that impressed. But the higher level ones are fantastic IMO. The 64 degree one has me torn between it and my old level 39 z-satin. But I still have it.

Whatever you decide, that is still quite impressive.

GL, have fun.  

• gatordee
    281 Posts
    Wed, Feb 29 2012 4:29 PM

Get those G 20s if you can. I played with the 10's for the longest. It will take a good amount of time to reach 88 and 90. When you get to the 80s, leveling up takes some time. Also, I found SA's to take the hardest hit when you reach legend. If the you have a head wind, reaching the fairways with the R 11s takes a good shot. On the other hand, Kiwi and congressional were the easiest. Good luck and congrats to you!

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:02 PM

WGTicon:

hi

many of us used g10's and raptures off legend tees. yes, it was harder, yes, it's hard to compete with higher end clubs but by going through the process, you will learn the courses much better, able to manage them better, scramble for pars and just gain knowledge that's hard to replicate by using other clubs.

-wgticon

Very well said.  It will definitely make you a better player.  With the newer clubs you can be alot more agressive at the holes, but at the same time you will not appreciate the skill involved in scrambling.   I may not be playing with the R11's, mainly because I do prefer the TM 2.0's with the legend Calloway's.  I may not be shooting at the pin all the time, (its the realism I prefer), but one can still be quite competitive with the TM 2.0's.

RSS