Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What is the secret of getting out of the rough?

Wed, Feb 29 2012 6:50 PM (7 replies)
  • TerryN1013
    109 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 3:41 PM

I have trouble from the roughs.  Whether chip or pitch I hit it for 20 yards and often go only 3 or 4.  Real golf isn't that hard.  Who knows the secret?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 5:34 PM
    hi generally, the higher level clubs perform best out of rough. especially wedges. -wgticon
  • bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:27 PM

I understand the frustration.  Any rough of 25% or more near a green seems

to make any chip shot impossible.  So I have moved to 56* and 60* wedge flop

shots and that seems to work ok.  Remember to aim left on the flop shot

because flop usually hits 10* (degrees) right of where you are aiming. 

bblackh1

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 7:05 PM

use the 'punch' shot in the shot option menu. You have to be careful and gage the shot to the right distance but, it's really effective for getting the ball CLOSE ,if not in, from the 50% rough. Any other shot out of deep rough is a crap shoot without a punch.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 7:28 PM

I use full and flops, the more stuck you are, the more you need to add to the total distance. Usually ranges from about 5 to more than 15 yds. With flops 3 to 6 more yds. Consider wind. I am not good with chips,so better don't advise...

• Beeray
    126 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:16 PM

Hey there Terry, 

You are not alone I am sure!  Here is just a little advice to try.  The distances may vary slightly depending on the irons or wedges you use and the wind, and full backspin or forward spin that you apply to the shot.

These suggestions apply to Full Shots :Lets say you are 108 yds out from the pin in the rough and it is 30%-40% depth.  I usually figure adding 10-12 yds to this shot with full backspin.  40%-50% depth I will add 15-18 yds.    On a 15%-20% 3-5 yds added and 20%-25% 5-7 yds.  These are rough estimates and making a note on your pc monitor with a post it note under the shot gauge will be your best way to develop consistency.  Try a certain strength shot with a particular wedge and distance, hold the shot at the top of your swing and make a mark on your note.  Then execute the shot and write on your note the yardage results.  The secret is it takes some work to find out what your distances are with the equipment you are using, but the good news is it is possible to get very consistent, even from the rough.

Feel free to message me if you are interested in further assistance as I am a club owner/ trainer.  I would be glad to be of assistance where i can.

Beeray

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:58 PM

TerryN1013:

Whether chip or pitch I hit it for 20 yards and often go only 3 or 4.  

Not sure what you mean by this, but it sounds like you're not taking a full swing. Use full or close to full power. Don't use the chip shot unless you're within a couple of yards to the green.

• gatordee
    281 Posts
    Wed, Feb 29 2012 6:50 PM

Try this, play a practice round on some courses and take all your 10 strokes aloud (average) and putt the ball off the green and practice chipping it, flopping it and full shots. If you hit a bad one, hit the ball right back where it was and try to adjust from what went wrong. Two 9 holes on two different courses will help you very very much. Just make sure  it is practice rounds. Just to be safe, quit on the 9th after about 8 shots. Good luck

RSS