Forums

Help › Forums

Re: High winds in RG's

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:51 AM (1 replies)
  • pb1711
    1,183 Posts
    Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:20 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to know what other players think.

I just finished the BO front 9, 500cr RG. This RG is in heavy wind and it just seems to be too much of a lottery. I have heard the arguments that the wheel turns and everyone will eventually receive  favourable winds in their round. This to me defeats the whole object of the game. Should it not be about how you play?

I want to use my round as an example :

I birdied the first, wind doesn't have to much affect there. On the 2nd (a par 5) I get a 17mph head wind, fair enough it happens, no chance of an eagle. Now at the same time though I know that with the calibre  players playing in the tourny, there are bound to be a few eagles, wind permitting. The wind doesn't really play much part on the 3rd, as regardless of the direction, a birdy is always possible, same with the 4th, which is a par 3. After these 4 holes I am at -4, and thought I was going along quite nicely. 

On the 5th however is where the fun starts, it's a RSG hole and I get a 29mph head wind, hit my drive and leave myself 260 yrds to the flag, no chance of reaching the green in 2, ok make a par and move on. The next is a par 3, so wind not an issue there. The 7th is the St. A's par 5. Now I get a 27mph head wind, now anyone teeing off from the back knows to reach the green in 3 for a chance for a birdy means a very good 3rd shot of 200 yrds +. Nevertheless a birdy is still very possible. Then the 8th which is ccc's no.11. Again I get a 17 head wind, my second shot only makes it to the fringe of the green, so have to settle for par again. The 18th is also a hole where the wind doesn't matter too much.

So out of the last 5 holes only 2 are realistic chances, I cannot see how this is fair. Why not give all players the same winds, especially in heavy wind conditions? I know that it has been said that players that happen to cheat with friends telling them the wind for every hole or multiple accounts would be able to equip their bags accordingly, but really, how much difference would this make and I really don't think that this would happen much anyway.

I would like to know what players who participate in these tournaments think, or give suggestions?

I apologise for the "book" but I felt I needed to explain why I'm bringing this up, as this is obviously not the first time this has happened to me or I'm sure, many other players, in fact.

Thanks all

pb1711

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:51 AM

A few months ago I was fortunate enough to play  at St. Andrews for real. Teed off in the morning, nice gentle breeze no more than 5-6 mph and fairly warm too. The wind wasn't a factor on any hole during my round.

By mid-afternoon the wind had strengthened, not to gale-force levels but four or five times stronger than when I teed off.  Golfers teeing off on that afternoon had to combat not only the course, formidable enough but also strong gusting winds.

I hope you see my point that conditions are not always the same in real life so why should they be on here?

I know it seems unfair but you will get a round where the wind favours you at some point.

RSS