Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tourney for Lower Tiers and Starter Equipment

Sat, Mar 17 2012 8:14 AM (4 replies)
  • TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Fri, Mar 16 2012 8:38 PM

The "almost daily" playing aspect of WGT has kind of lost it's appeal to me.  I'd like to examine the possibility of my sponsoring a monthly Tournament that is restricted to the lowest 3 tiers using only default starter clubs and the WGT unlimited ball.  If it could also be filtered towards  the "Geritol" set that would be even better.  A smaller field say 30 - 50 players, with a top-10 split to me would be preferable.  I've not found an existing venue of this sort as yet.  If a tourney of this sort does exist, and someone could aim me in that direction I'd like to use my credits as a sponsor rather than on expensive balls I can't hit well anyway.  If one doesn't exist already, how would I go about finding a way to establish one.  Thanks for any help, thank yu, thank yu, thank yu veruh much

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Fri, Mar 16 2012 9:05 PM

It's a fine idea, but I really think you should join a country club. The kind of tourney you're talking about is what they are for (among other things). Being a young whippersnapper, I'm not aware of any clubs for the aged and infirm and slow of reflex, or for impersonators of supposedly dead celebrities -- or both -- but I imagine the former, at least, is out there :)

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Mar 16 2012 9:25 PM

Hello TrikiRik. I'm not sure if one exists right now. I do know that from time to time others, here on WGT, hold a "starter clubs only" tournament. But if you wanted to start one yourself you could. Now I have been here for a while and have seen MANY others have the idea to start a tournament and it either never gets off the ground OR the host loses interest and leaves the tournament un-done. (Which makes some people angry). This will require a lot of your time. But if your willing to do so then I can give you one idea as to how to start it.

First you'll need to figure out exactly what you want to do. A starter club tournament with a specific tier(s)(Hack, Amateur, & Pro) Next you'll need to decide what format you want to do it in. Match Play? Stroke Play? How many holes? Which course(s)  If it's stroke play then how many rounds? Or is it one match per month for "x" amount of months? You'll need to sit and write out (or type) every detail so that you have EVERYTHING covered. People will need and want to know exactly what you have in mind so that they can decide whether or not they want to participate. 

Once you have that all figured out then you go down to the tournament section of these forums, (I believe it's called the "Community Organized Tournaments") and start a thread. Call it whatever you want. I would call it "The Starter Club Tournament". And tell members that this tournament is open to Hacks, Amateurs, & Pro's and to sign up if they want to participate. Try to have a specific number of entrants that you want. Give everyone 1 week to sign up. After that week or whatever you decide then you'll need to pair everybody up. Or you just need to tell those participants what the course and conditions they are playing on are and that they need to go out on their own and play the game and then report the score. Personally I would pair everybody together because there are people out there that would cheat and use whatever equipment they want. Sorry, but it's a fact of WGT life. 

Now you'll need to keep a standings. You could do this a couple different ways. You could either just post here in the forums the standings OR you could use google spreadsheets and create your own standings. That is if your familiar with it. Be sure to update the standings everyday and once the tournament ends award that person(s) that won. Also how many places pay out? Are you awarding just 1st place? Or maybe your awarding 1st, 2nd. & 3rd? 

This is a HUGE undertaking if your wanting to do this yourself, but it CAN be done. It just has to be done the right way. I do it all the time for my C.C. and I'll tell you that it is quite a bit of work, but it's a LOT of fun. Not sure if I answered your question or not, but if I did I wish you nothing but the best for you and your tournament. Good luck to ya.

Master Yoda

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2012 8:04 AM

LeonDelBosque:
    It's a fine idea, but I really think you should join a country club. The kind of tourney you're talking about is what they are for (among other things).

Thanks Leon, awhile back searched for a club geared to the senior set, then forgot where I left my notepad.  A search for dead celebrities only caused the WGT server to hang and screwed up my swing meter.  

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2012 8:14 AM

Yoda79:
    This is a HUGE undertaking if your wanting to do this yourself, but it CAN be done. It just has to be done the right way. I do it all the time for my C.C. and I'll tell you that it is quite a bit of work, but it's a LOT of fun

Most excellent advice this is. 

Seems like I should try and find an existing venue before trying to establish a tournament myself.  It really does seem like it could be a fun part of my WGT world.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

RSS