Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Consistency

Sat, Mar 24 2012 5:10 PM (2 replies)
  • pb1711
    1,183 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 2:40 PM

To compete with the best in this game, you don't only need to know where to hit your approaches and how to putt, but if you miss the ding by a cm, that ball is not going where you aimed. :-) 

I would like to ask, what do the good and top players out there do, to improve their consistency? 

How to shoot those low scores more often, I for 1 will shoot a 28 and then a 33 the very next round, 1 round I can ding everything and the next, hook balls into the trees.

Any help or tips would be appreciated. 

Thanks all

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 5:04 PM

I'm not the most consistent player in all of WGT, but I have had my good days before. 

For me consistency comes completely from the approach. Sure, putting well is a huge bonus to your game, but making 9 or 18 1-putts from outside of 10' is almost impossible to do. 

Hitting the ball close and giving yourself a birdie putt inside of 6' is one of the best things you can do to keep your game consistent. 

So go out and take notes on all the courses. Note every inch downhill, uphill, tree positions, green slopes, traps, glitches, angles, rough depth, wind effects, and every single other nook and cranny in between. Keep taking notes until you know each course so well you could draw it on a piece of paper while blindfolded. 

Hitting your approach shots close time after time requires memorization of the courses, and you'll see more consistent scores when you're putting from close rather than far (obviously). 

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 5:10 PM

I am not consistent by any means, but when I am hot, its cause of the putter.  Yes keeping it tight to the pin can keep your scores low, but I have averaged under 6ft before and still only shot -5.  

The top players do this very rarely if at all.  If they shoot under 6ft they are staring at -9 most of the time, if not more.  

And on top of that if they miss the ding, it isn't by  alot, usually on the right side of the wind, and they will still nail the 10-20ft putt for bird or eagle.

Flat stick 100% will keep you consistent, but as TLD stated sticking approaches tight will eilimate the need to sink a 20ft bird and better your chances at going low.

Cheers,

b0gey

RSS