Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The DOT on the ball - how to get best results

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 29 2012 10:40 PM (5 replies)
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:59 PM

Please this a serious question as I believe there is quite some advantage to be had by moving the green dot on the ball in differing circumstances.

What has prompted this thread was me reading about the new G20's and someone said if you use full BS or TS then the driver does not perform so well.

Now I always use full BS when the wind is helping with my driver, but when I have a headwind, I am never sure whether to move the dot or not. Should I move it a little  or a lot.

Is moving the dot also reliant on what clubs you have, e.g. I 've heard it said that using the top R11 driver to its maximum potential requires this advanced knowledge of where to put the dot.

What do you think, thanks in advance, I am very excited at the potential answers as I am sick of being out-driven by my mate .  lol

PS. my driver is the top of the range R9. I rented the R11 but wasn't impressed, obviously because I didn't have a clue how to use the DOT.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2012 8:24 PM

Being a person that moves his dot up, down, left, right and every other way on EVERY single shot I take (exception is putting obviously) I like to think I have the spin factor down to a science for the most part. So I can tell you what I do.

Driving with a wind: I move the dot down to in between NO spin and full backspin. That way I get some carry AND I get some roll once it hits the fairway. 

Driving against a wind: I move the dot down just a little bit. You'll get a lot of carry and you'll get a little bit of roll. 

Now I have experimented with spin going into a wind. I've used full topspin and backspin and many things in between. And I've found that I get pretty much the same results. Using full topspin it will drop quicker, but roll a little bit once it lands. And using full backspin it seems to land and stop where it would of stopped using full topspin. Little confusing I know. Sorry about that. 

But anyways I would think that it just depends on where your ball lands and when it lands what it hits that's going to determine if you out-drive your opponent or not. Try to hit that down slope in the fairway. 

Iron shots is a whole other story. Top spin into wind and backspin with a wind. Usually not FULL of either. But it just depends on how strong the wind is and what green, rather where on the green your hitting to that determines that. Also depends on the irons and ball your using. I can elaborate more on iron and wedge play if you so desire it. Not sure I helped much, but I hope you find the answer your looking for. Good luck to ya.

Master Yoda

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2012 8:39 PM

Brilliant Yoda, thank you my man.

Absolutely fascinating and i hope more people offer up their experiences.

The difficulty for me is proving one way over another as it is hard to hit repetitive shots in exactly the same circumstance, to compare results.

• Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2012 8:53 PM

One thing to watch for tho is if you will be clearing say a bunker with your drive by just a bit don't use top spin because it will not allow the ball to carry over the bunker,  the full back spin will allow it to carry over.  Hope that helps

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2012 10:32 PM

when i am not sure i hit the ball in the  center  ,,     :)    and this not to be a smart *** ,it work for me ,

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2012 10:40 PM

What i have read so far is what i have experienced, but let me add this.  I normally use the callaway ball, but in the last 3 weeks my ball has been the top of the line nike ball.  I have all R11  clubs, cleveland wedges.  The BS for any wind coming from the rear is greatly beneficial with the callaways, and slightly less so with the nikes.  Both will carry a good distance, and roll very little.  In my shot set up I will pick the best area in which to land for the best over all performance, and as my club/ball distance is stated as 282 yards, I move my target to that point.  I have found that it helps to control a side winds effect on my ball until it gets beyond the target distance.  A little BS with either ball on a drive does little, a lot of BS with assisting wind does a lot.  When aiming into the wind reguardless of the percentage of angle i use full TS.  unless you have an unfavorable landing zone, i see no reason to use less.  With my irons i can definatly see remarkable differances in whether it is a little or a lot, both for TS and BS.  Many times it is quite a gamble as to what the out come may be.   With my wedges a little bit of ANYTHING! is probably way too much, lol.  my nickle, hope it helps.

RSS