Help › Forums

Flash storage

Mon, May 28 2012 10:22 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 2:47 PM

TheSpaghettiKid:
    But... I see nothing in Chrome settings about deleting anything on exit.

The deleting is automatic, there's no setting to change that. What you do do is control WHAT is deleted. And that is done as outlined above.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 3:53 PM

YankeeJim:

TheSpaghettiKid:
    But... I see nothing in Chrome settings about deleting anything on exit.

The deleting is automatic, there's no setting to change that. What you do do is control WHAT is deleted. And that is done as outlined above.

Unless we are not talking about the same thing... cookies and other site and plug-in data are not automatically deleted.  Google CAN do that however... that option is found under advanced>privacy>content settings tab>cookies>Clear cookies and other site and plug-in data when I close my browser.  AFAIK, nothing is auto-cleared unless that box is checked.

That option is unchecked on my machine. 

YankeeJim... what u have described is manually clearing browsing data.  You can choose 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week etc... browsing history, cookies, empty cache, etc... I think you are saying that Chrome auto clears some stuff... possibly the browser cache or flash cache?  AFAIK, none of those settings affect what is auto cleared.  

Also, AFAIK, browser cache is not auto-deleted upon exit.  This would be counter-intuitive to having a cache to begin with.  I downloaded a little app that views the Chrome Browser Cache... it is full of stuff from wgt and media5... and stuff from other sites visited... gifs and jpg's etc.  NOTHING has been auto-deleted.

There is a difference between flash cache and browser cache.  I am assuming what I am looking at in the pic I posted is the flash cache?

Browser cache is the data (gifs, jpgs, etc) stored on your local machine that you don't have to download again when re-visiting a previously viewed site.  Flash cache is similar data (gifs, jpgs, etc) only formatted for the flash player experience... the data flash accesses when running it's .swf's and proprietary executables.  Is that basically correct?  Is there ever overlap between browser cache and flash cache?

I'm still not sure why 0kb of stored data is being reported for media5.wgt.com ??? That seems odd!!

Is there another place I can check the amount of flash data stored for media5.wgt.com ?? 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 4:44 PM

TheSpaghettiKid:
    I am assuming what I am looking at in the pic I posted is the flash cache?

I'm not sure what that is or where it came from but this is what the Flash cache page looks like here.  You have to set that slider in the pic to whatever you want. In my case, it's set to 100KB and WGT has used up 20.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2012 5:16 PM

right.  I know this page.  Mine is set at 1MB and using 13kb.

The pic i posted is a screen shot of the settings explained in post 1 ott.

TheSpaghettiKid:
    You can right click on the PLAY NOW flash element (the main button on WGT where you launch the game client) and choose global Settings > Local Storage Settings by site.

It appears as though the reporting found in the settings in post 1 ott, is either not accurate or not the same thing as in your last post.

Probably not the same thing.  It's button is labeled... "local storage settings by site..."

I wonder what it is reporting and why it is different?

Again, right click on the PLAY NOW button on wgt that launches the game client, choose Global Settings, then choose "local storage settings by site"... see what media5 is reporting.

Thanks YJ!

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Thu, May 24 2012 7:56 AM

bump.  

I would like to get a couple of these questions answered... but its not life or death as my puter performance is very good.

I'm just curious about the stuff ITT... if anyone can answer them, cool.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, May 24 2012 12:22 PM

You can also configure Flash settings from control panel. But Chrome has it built into its browser as well as Firefox. You can change setting from within either browser.

If you want to clear your cache ,history etc etc correctly I would advise Dling a small tool called CCleaner. Good Luck.

And yeah gotta love when you want an answer to a question and some dweeb decides he knows all and doesnt even help. 

Maturity levels in here are questionable at times .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 24 2012 2:05 PM

pjctas0822:
    And yeah gotta love when you want an answer to a question and some dweeb decides he knows all and doesnt even help. 

LOL. Funny way to put it but you have to understand that he has gone way past helpful in other technical threads. Search his posts for some good info. I just think he was in a pissy mood seeing a player come back and restart threads that went down while he was away. That's what the search box is for.  ;-)

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Thu, May 24 2012 3:48 PM

YankeeJim:

pjctas0822:

LOL. Funny way to put it but you have to understand that he has gone way past helpful in other technical threads. Search his posts for some good info. I just think he was in a pissy mood seeing a player come back and restart threads that went down while he was away. That's what the search box is for.  ;-)

Yah the search box isn't great.  Doesn't sort by most recent... advance search is buggy too, mostly doesn't work for me, just hangs.

I thought I was asking something slightly different than the normal "how do I improve performance"... since I already did that stuff.  I guess I mostly wanted to know what this was actually reporting... 

thespaghettikid:
    You can right click on the PLAY NOW flash element (the main button on WGT where you launch the game client) and choose global Settings > Local Storage Settings by site.

... since it is different than what is reported here...

But no sweat.  My performance is good.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 24 2012 3:52 PM

Infinito and Andyson are the go to guys when you need to know serious stuff. I just remembered that one of the more recent releases of Flash or Chrome changed cache storing or management. I can't remember the specifics but the gist of it had to do with that 1st screen.

• stupiddawg
    29 Posts
    Mon, May 28 2012 10:22 PM

Gawd I hope that not true about there being no such thing as dual quad core processors....  I have a server farm that will be rendered completely useless if it turns out to be true... :-)

• PAGES
RSS