Help › Forums

Distance vs Spin

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 31 2012 6:15 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 10:19 AM

As a soon to be Legend  (I hope), a question for the legends out there. What is your choice in a ball  distance or spin? I am wondering because you are back on the tee boxes yet your shots to the green are longer. Off the tee I'm guessing distance but to the green spin. Thoughts? Thanks in advance

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 10:24 AM

Level 71 nike balls have both loads of spin and distance. If you can afford them then they are a must for every legend.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 10:25 AM

hi

rarely there is a shot I dont hit with 1/2 bs or more. I often club up to his with more bs just because I like to control my flight path/carry.

-wgticon

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 10:29 AM

Depends what clubs you are using...I see a lot of legends playing a spin ball as with the longer clubs you dont really need the extra distance the ball can offer. Im the opposite of this in that i play g20's so when im playing nike's i go for spin and callies i go for distance (the nike's are way long anyway). More spin is always going to help you around the green tho if you have the skills to use it properly.

Basically is about finding a combination that works to your particular style of play.

• upinsmoketour
    342 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 10:34 AM

What he said ^ couldnt have put it better myself !    smoke.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 11:45 AM

The key irons in the move to Legend are the 3, 4 and 5 irons and you have the right ones. Those are the ones you need to master, particularly stopping them. You can go out to BPB B9 and on the first 3 holes, tee off with your 3W and see what it will take to get them close. That may answer your question.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 12:51 PM

YankeeJim:

The key irons in the move to Legend are the 3, 4 and 5 irons and you have the right ones. Those are the ones you need to master, particularly stopping them. You can go out to BPB B9 and on the first 3 holes, tee off with your 3W and see what it will take to get them close. That may answer your question.

Listen to this guy!    Great advice there Jim......I sometimes need to go back to those holes to re-learn what I thought I once learned already.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 12:55 PM

YankeeJim:

Very sound advice Jim. From the man who convinced me to give the Clevelands a second chance....

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 1:23 PM

Also if you use Cleveland wedges then you don't really need any more spin.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2012 1:59 PM

piztaker:

Also if you use Cleveland wedges then you don't really need any more spin.

you are so correct, lol, have to laugh that is one of the reasons I gave them up and Jim convinced me to give them another try. Would never go back.

• PAGES
RSS