Help › Forums

Chipping Woes

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:02 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TxTdubya
    19 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 7:37 PM

I'm having a very difficult time chipping from around the green from the rough.  25-30% in the first cut, pin is about 8 yards away, the meter reads a full chip shot should travel 16 yards.  I hit the ball with 60% power and the ball goes 1 foot closer to the pin and still in the rough.  Increase the power some, and I sail it over the green, only to find that I'm in the exact same position on the opposite side of the green. 

Is there another style of shot that will work better around the green from the rough?  I know that landing and staying on the green will prevent this, but I'm still learning...

• dario2589
    202 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 7:43 PM

Try pitching any time you can instead of chipping.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 7:44 PM

Try pitch or flop. I actually use full shot probably 50% of the time. I have my 64 degree wedge mapped out how far it will go with full bs and no bs with each avatar movement.

Chip doesn't carry far enough in the air to get the the green. Pitch, flop or full shot will.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2012 8:02 PM

I threw this out there in another thread where the thought was that the rough wasn't consistent.

The mechanics of a chip shot are very different than those of a pitch or flow - chipping is a much slower and less "powerful" stroke to begin with - trying to finesse a chip out of the rough by adjusting power just doesn't work.  With a full swing on a chip, you have a chance at getting it out, even with the resistance of the rough.  But the slower the swing, the more the rough will catch the club.

Pitching and flopping have more follow-through on a swing, so the club head speed can be adjusted to finesse a bit more.  But, when you start getting into 50-60% (which I've only done once accidentally), you're looking at a punch more than likely.

A pitch of flop is an almost must from the rough - I rarely ever even chip from the fairway if I come up short or there happens to be fairway lies around the green.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 5:32 AM

I use the flop shot nearly 100% of the time.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 6:10 AM

CerinoDevoti:

I use the flop shot nearly 100% of the time.

I love the flop too but it isn't good out of 40%/50% stuff.

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 6:14 AM

Get better wedges, if possible. The Cleveland wedges cut through first-cut rough (up to 25%) like a steak knife through butter, I find I have to compensate for it very little or maybe not at all when close to the hole.

I don't like the pitch shot when close to the hole, it just has too much power. Even in 50% rough, if I am just off the green and within 10 yards of the hole I will chip, but give it a good whack.

• AlanSteventon
    590 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 6:32 AM

If you are more than 1 yd off the green I would use Pitch shot, I use the Flop shot right down to 8 yds from the pin. I use the CG16 wedges from within 45 yd of the pin i will use the Punch shot and add between 4 and 6 yds to the distance with full b/s, if I Flop i will add 4 yds to distance with full b/s and catch the shot on the line before the ding line. it is deadly from within 45 yds with these types of shots.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2012 6:39 AM

Y, short game with the starters is woe times woe.

There =====> is a chip&pitch guide in the FAQs telling all about it.

General guide for custom clubs, in complement to the other posts, short form:

Pitches fly 50+ % of their intended length. They can land on fairway, fringe or green. They work from far out, 90 yds with my 3I. Nice shots able to roll up those steep slopes like STA #17 and #18.

Chips fly 20-25 % of their length and should land on fringe or green. On fairway, they roll remarkably shorter than their number (instead of 57 yds of my 3I I get 50 yds).

Landing in rough, both shots are crap.Therefore it is important to judge the landing spot. Use flop or punch instead.

Pitches may also work short of elevated greens,

• PAGES
RSS