Help › Forums

Top Gun Videos

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 5 2012 10:04 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SafariMan62
    222 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 6:51 AM

OK, its the 4th of July morning & have some time to finally watch some of the Top Guns here on WGT and see the videos of how they post those 15-22 under par scores.

So, i spent a solid hour watching & re-watching many of these videos that were available to view...

Here's what i found. Its seems that no matter how fast the meter was.  And/or how much the meter "suttered".  And/or how much the meter skipped. These top guns were able to hit the ding or just be a hair left or right of the ding every time!  Whether it be a drive, iron shot or putt!

My conclusion is this. When a meter situation as described above occurs to me or players in a match with me. Our balls end up in the deep rough, or the water, or the trees, or "out of bounds", or in 60/70 brush.  And in a lot of cases we lose our ball and end up with double or worse bogeys..!

So, I 'm wondering what,  as "very average" WGT players.....What are we missing here??

Just asking....

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:10 AM

SafariMan62:

OK, its the 4th of July morning & have some time to finally watch some of the Top Guns here on WGT and see the videos of how they post those 15-22 under par scores.

So, i spent a solid hour watching & re-watching many of these videos that were available to view...

Here's what i found. Its seems that no matter how fast the meter was.  And/or how much the meter "suttered".  And/or how much the meter skipped. These top guns were able to hit the ding or just be a hair left or right of the ding every time!  Whether it be a drive, iron shot or putt!

My conclusion is this. When a meter situation as described above occurs to me or players in a match with me. Our balls end up in the deep rough, or the water, or the trees, or "out of bounds", or in 60/70 brush.  And in a lot of cases we lose our ball and end up with double or worse bogeys..!

So, I 'm wondering what,  as "very average" WGT players.....What are we missing here??

Just asking...

hand eye coordination?

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:59 AM

Well, for one thing the videos that you are watching likely aren't running as smoothly as the original game that the player was playing.  The smoother the meter the easier it is to hit the ding.  I would also tell you that if you notice a skip or shudder in the meter then lift your finger - don't hit.  You will take a practice swing with no penalty.  Sometimes these skips occur at the immediate point of trigger time and they can ruin a round/cause a lost ball for even the best of players.

• borntobesting
    9,686 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:19 AM

b0geybuster:

SafariMan62:

Just asking...

hand eye coordination?

Like Bogey said hand eye coordination and as Priestess told me becoming so used to the meter not being smooth that it becomes second nature to click at the correct time. The top guns as you call them learn to hit the ding even with a less than stable meter while the rest of us just whine about how poorly our meter performs.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:48 AM

See my post about the DING bug in the BUG forum. You will see that they probably were hitting the ding by accident. Missing left or right helps the shots based on wind direction. Unless you dont use the Aim arrow at all but hitting the Ding is bad not good. Except on putting chipping or pitching. But drives and approaches there is no reward by hitting the ding.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:54 AM

SafariMan62:

OK, its the 4th of July morning & have some time to finally watch some of the Top Guns...

And here I thought you were going to talk about Maverick and Goose and how it's such a perfect 4th of July thing to watch...

I concur with it being used to the meter speed - I've had numerous times where it's "stuttered" on me and I hit the ding because I'm a) used to a little stutter and b) have hit the clubs I have so long, I've got the timing down pretty well.

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:24 PM

The stutter you are on about is not he stutter the OP meant. I have a smooth meter, but when I used to live stream games the meter stutters like mad... and all the way, and on EVERY shot.  It was very, very difficult to hit the ding.  But my hand/eye coordination obviously isn't as good as the top players, or else I'd be a top player as well.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:59 PM

pjctas0822:
    hitting the Ding is bad not good.

You keep believing that pj. That's preposterous to even say. I compensate for the wind and hit ding, the ball lands close, every-time. Many other players will agree to this. I don't contest hitting or missing on the opposite side of ding against the wind, but all bets are off when you play like that and it leaves you no room to contest a shot when it doesn't work out the way you expected. With all the variables, there's just too much room for error not hitting ding.

Bogey is spot-on. My meter is as smooth as it can be, and I still can't stop it on ding. Its simply poor reflexes.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 1:11 PM

SafariMan62:

What are we missing here??

Just asking....

With all due respect, I see you have 61 ranked rounds. So, I think you are missing about 1,000 ranked rounds or so. When you have that, you will know the answer to your own question. They are good because they practice and have experience.........along with hand/eye coordination.

Cheers,  SM

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2012 1:16 PM

The videos I've recorded were at 30 FPS I believe, the meter will appear to be stuttering at that rate when it's actually smooth as can be.

• PAGES
RSS