Forums

Help › Forums

Mouse Advice

Thu, Jul 26 2012 1:44 PM (20 replies)
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:27 AM

I'm a retired Professional Golfer, and at 67 years, still play to a 5 HDCP.  I've been playing WGT for about a month now and am very dissatisfied with my ability to hit the "Ding".  My question is, Can there be a more efficient mouse to use for WGT?  The one I'm using is a generic (Walmart, lol) cable mouse that cost about 10 bucks.

Any Suggestions?

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 11:43 AM

I play with a 10 dollar mouse . With that said , I wouldnt focus on hitting Dinged shots. If you tend to miss more left then adjust by aiming lil more left and vice versa. Also using Balls with more "feel" will slow the meter down for people like you and I.

Hope that helps.

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:08 PM

pjctas0822:

I play with a 10 dollar mouse . With that said , I wouldnt focus on hitting Dinged shots. If you tend to miss more left then adjust by aiming lil more left and vice versa. Also using Balls with more "feel" will slow the meter down for people like you and I.

Hope that helps.

I disagree pjctas0822.  Your statement to him to not focus on hitting the ding seems like telling him that if he normally hits shots off of the toe IRL just to learn to compensate and play that way.  Missing the "ding" brings more variables into play like less spin and loss of distance.  In my opinion, playing to hit the ding will provide more consistent results.

I have found that the right mouse can help to hit the ding more consistently.  I have tried a few and have had varying success with each of them.  For me I found that using a mouse with a sensitive left click button works best but others may find that they prefer one you have to "mash" to get it to click.  While I don't think there is a right/wrong answer as to which mouse you use, I certainly feel that they can be a help or hindrance.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:36 PM

I wouldn't blame the mouse. I'm in my 60's and am lucky to hit the ding 1 in 4 times. 

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:45 PM

I started off using the pad on my laptop. After reading someones advice in the forums i started using a microsoft  mouse that i had got with a previous computer. After I turned legend i purchased a logitech g 500 and it has helped trememdously. The cost was about 55 dollars but worth every penny.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:47 PM

Logitech wireless mouse is what I use. Wallmart should have Logitech line of nice mice,,,mice's lol.

I paid like 10 bucks for this nice wireless logitech. I like how small it is. I still suck & the ding is a challenge but I don't fight with a cord & the mouse holds up good when I throw it.

• BeachedMulligan
    1,238 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 1:17 PM

Many play with a regular mouse just like you. But if you want to upgrade simply google "gaming mouse" and pick your poison. 

There is a thread somewhere about this where alot of the big guns say what they use. Search a bit for it. 

I use this: (and like it alot)

catalog?q=razer+tron+mouse&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r gc.r pw.r cp.r qf.,cf.osb&biw=1360&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF 8&tbm=shop&cid=4436095594705711031&sa=X&ei=71MQUMyuOKez6wHPo4GoCQ&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA

• SpikeMike
    51 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 1:25 PM

I use an Adesso trackball mouse; about $30 online. Using right hand on the ball and left hand to click gives great precision. Yes I have to clean the rollers every couple of days, but it never runs off the edge of the mousepad. :-)

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 1:41 PM

gerryniswonger:

I've been playing WGT for about a month now and am very dissatisfied with my ability to hit the "Ding".  My question is, Can there be a more efficient mouse to use for WGT?  The one I'm using is a generic (Walmart, lol) cable mouse that cost about 10 bucks.

Any Suggestions?

Is it really the mouse?

Other than the fact that a cable mouse will have less irritation than a wireless one, I don't see much difference in a cheap W. mouse or a gaming aparatus @60 bucks.

Looking into your bag, I see some unbalanced things regarding the meter.

You have a very slow driver (Rapture) and a lot of Starter clubs. The latter sport a fast meter. You might want to get the "Starter Plus" clubs with a slower meter for 99 crs or get some decent clubs right away. Why not complete the Rapture set - your game will improve a lot if you get rid of these imprecise and low-shooting Starters.

You also play the Starter ball which causes a fast meter. Any custom ball will slow it down at least a lil bit, and there are special "feel" balls which pull the brakes significantly. There's the WGT-S ball and the WGT-SD which also bring some nice spin to your game at 65 crs or less for a sleeve.

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2012 1:41 PM

Spammage:
    I disagree pjctas0822.  Your statement to him to not focus on hitting the ding seems like telling him that if he normally hits shots off of the toe IRL just to learn to compensate and play that way.  Missing the "ding" brings more variables into play like less spin and loss of distance.  In my opinion, playing to hit the ding will provide more consistent results.

I agree but as he gets better with time, he will learn as I did (the hard way) and then hitting the Ding would be a little easier. I was just offering a way to do it differently as alot of top players purposely miss the ding on either side based on wind , lie, slope etc etc etc.... It works for me.

I understand it may not work for everyone. I do know on approach shots mostly hitting the Ding defaults the aim marker directly at the pin instead of where you move the aim target. It happens to me 95% of the time on approaches if I happen to ding it. Dont know why but it does. Others have stated so also. But I do know experimenting will help your game as you get higher in Tiers and levels. BTW this is a game and it has its faults.

Yes you do want to teach and practice good form but tell Dennis Eckersley (when he was playing) to stop pitching sidearm because its not conventionally sound and it wont work :)

Just trying to help , Ill leave this to you Legends to teach :)

But again I agree with you on, a better mouse will help but you dont need to have the best to be the best. Work with what you have and improve from there. It only gets easier after that.

And for you large handed, fat fingered people like me, yes I prefer a smaller mouse for better handling (Kinda like my women that way too :) ...Just kidding . (My wife is only 4'10" LOL)

Logitech Mice Here <~~~~~I use the M505 listed at 30 bucks but can be bought from Tigerdirect.com  <~~~~for alot less. Picked up 2 of them and 2 wireless Keyboards for under 70 Bucks back in January of this year.

RSS