Help › Forums

Changing Tiers

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:18 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • 1Quincy1
    6 Posts
    Wed, Aug 15 2012 3:50 PM

I have been playing WGT for only a month, so I am still trying to learn.  I am wondering about what it takes to move up through the tiers.  I am curious because I moved right through the amateur tier in 4 days, but am still in the pro tier.

I have read several posts regarding changing tiers and have come to understand that it takes a combination of a certain minimum number of ranked stroke play rounds plus an average score at or below a certain score in order to advance to the next tier. 

My question:  Has anyone compiled a list of the specific criteria (# of rounds played plus average score) that it takes to move from each tier to the next?  For example, what does it take to go from hack to amateur, from amateur to pro and so on all the way up to the top tier?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Aug 15 2012 5:57 PM

Hi

we never made the specifics public, but some users have made educated guesses.

-wgticon

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Wed, Aug 15 2012 7:46 PM

Keep playing ranked rounds to progress towards the

next tier.  (The Alt and Blitz rounds don't count towards

tier.)

bblackh1

• woodworkerjunkie
    237 Posts
    Fri, Aug 17 2012 8:15 AM

Pro = average 80.00 with at least 10 ranked rounds played as Amateur

Tour pro = average 72.00 with at least 20 ranked rounds played as Pro

Master = average 67.00 with at least 25 ranked games played as Tour pro

Tour Master = average 63.00 with at least 40 ranked games played as Master

Legends = average 61.00 with at least 50 ranked games played as Tour Master 

and as far as Tour Legend, we'll have to wait and see

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Aug 17 2012 5:29 PM

• When your average score is equal or smaller than 100 you go from hack to amateur.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 80 you go from amateur to pro.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 72 you go from pro to tour pro
    • When it is equal or smaller than 67 you go from tour pro to Master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 63 you go from Master to Tour master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 61 you go from Tour master to legend 
    • When it is equal or smaller than 60 you go from Legend to Tour Legend*

and

• you need to play at least 5 ranked rounds as hack before reaching Amateur
    • you need to play at least 10 ranked rounds as amateur before reaching Pro
    • you need to play at least 20 ranked rounds as Pro before reaching Tour pro
    • you need to play at least 25 ranked rounds as Tour pro before reaching Master
    • you need to play at least 40 ranked rounds as Master before reaching Tour Master
    • you need to play at least 50 ranked rounds as Tour Master before reaching Legend
    • You need at least 100 ranked rounds as Legend before reaching Tour Legend

Notice that those minimal number of ranked rounds are also the number of best rounds used to compute your average in that particular tier. So if you are Tour Master for example, your average is computed with your best 50 ranked round (that's why you need at least 50 rounds to move up).

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2012 5:48 AM

Although it won't be admitted in public, these numbers have proven to be pretty close to predicting your next promotion.

The 'average' here at WGT is a bit different, though, than you were taught in your arithmetic classes as a kid.  Once your minimum number of ranked rounds is achieved, your average will no longer climb.  It will only come down.  The end result is the average of the 20 best scores you've posted as a Pro.

For example, you have recorded rounds of 64, 73, 68, 68, 81, 71, 69.  If we are only requiring 6 ranked rounds, for simplicity, the 81 no longer counts.  Your avg would be 68.83.  You decide to play another round and shoot 71.  Now, your best 6 scores are 64, 68, 68, 71, 69,  and your new 71.  The 73 gets thrown out.  Your new average is 68.50.

Since you've met the minimum of 6 ranked rounds, by my oversimplified example, your average will never go up again....only down.  Your highest round is the two 71's.  Anytime you score below a 71, that new round will count and one of the 71's gets eliminated and your average drops a little.  However, once you are promoted, the ranked rounds start a zero again and everything counts until you build up enough ranked rounds we can start tossing the high ones out.

So, the point is:  Keep playing your rounds, even if they turn out poorly.  After awhile, they won't matter for squat.  Try and be ethical here and don't quit on the other players that are also spending their time trying to be social and play this game with others.  If you are playing by yourself, I suppose it doesn't matter if you are frustrated and quit to start over.  

If I'm playing with others, I just try and make it a personal challenge to get back to even par, or whatever I consider good for me, and continue to have fun.....maybe make a friend for a future round.  And, I think most players at WGT are the same way, too.  It's the community that keeps a lot of us coming back, and that community should be preserved along with the integrity of the game.

Happy golfing!

• aaratts
    4 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2012 12:28 PM

Can one move down in Tiers if your score drops?

• TGor
    313 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2012 12:59 PM

There is no going back unfortunately. Keep at it, your scores will start to drop again. However, if you're impatient, I'd suggest you upgrade your equipment...GL.

Tony

• aaratts
    4 Posts
    Tue, Aug 21 2012 1:06 PM

LOL. Thanks.

• tiger319
    1,186 Posts
    Wed, Aug 22 2012 2:05 AM

If this is true why are there so many "Amatuers" with averages in the low 60's and 20 plus ranked match play rounds???

• PAGES
RSS