Forums

Help › Forums

Putting. Am I missing something?

Sat, Sep 22 2012 6:59 PM (34 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 4:58 AM

alanti:
    I do have a question though, as in the last 2 days I have hit putts exactly as desired but just slide by, wheras in the past a lot of these seemed to drop. Has there been any change?

The green speeds change during the week. Even though you're putting on VF greens, the speeds within that setting change subtly. There's no way to know other than by actually putting on them. What you see on a Monday isn't always the same as what you see on Friday.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 5:51 AM

bubbadork:

I use my own ruler.  It looks like this:https://daweidesigns.netfirms.com/Swing.php .  A little Python, you're home free.

Just checked it out..wow.!!(wish I knew a bit more about computers)..I have to make do with a 20yr old calculator,a piece of paper stuck to the screen & my memory...Andy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 7:33 AM

goldeena:

he's a bit of a genius innee

LOL. Maybe, maybe not. This is eerily similar to something that a guy tried to sell here 3 years ago and became the focal point of a lot of cheating accusations. It still does, occasionally, when people discover it. Nothing cheating about this, it just saves you a lot of mental time and like the inventor himself says, you still have to ding it after you figure out where to aim.  :-)

p.s., I like his saying...  "Craftsmanship is not a boat from Sears."  

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 2:51 PM

bubbadork:

I use my own ruler.  It looks like this:https://daweidesigns.netfirms.com/Swing.php .  A little Python, you're home free.

Awesome looking program, would save my brain working overtime lol. I personally wouldn't see it as cheating, just a damned fine caddy.

• Blade7658
    452 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:06 PM

bubbadork:

Man, that is nice work. Couldn't you make your box transparent (partially) and lay it on top of the actual meter?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:16 PM

YankeeJim:

alanti:
    I do have a question though, as in the last 2 days I have hit putts exactly as desired but just slide by, wheras in the past a lot of these seemed to drop. Has there been any change?

The green speeds change during the week. Even though you're putting on VF greens, the speeds within that setting change subtly. There's no way to know other than by actually putting on them. What you see on a Monday isn't always the same as what you see on Friday.

Thank you Jim for the clarification, must be the sun and the wind drying out the greens, must have rained overnight as the are dropping again lol

Cheers. Alan

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:35 PM

bubbadork:

Well, actually you're using your caddie's ruler, heh heh.

As for me I AM using my own hand-drawn ruler:

Note: Camera parallax makes ruler appear slightly bigger than meter; when in use at normal screen distance, they're the same length. The off-set 100% scale is for all clubs except putter, which has a different length meter and a different origin (zero point).

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2012 8:24 AM

Putting.Am I Missing Something ?...The hole by the sound of it !!..Andy

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:16 AM

Blade, you can make the window partially transparent and set it to be "Always on top," but then you couldn't drag the meter.  Anything over 100% transparent captures the mouse.

I could make it short (or a separate window) and work the meter from off to the right, but it seems like too much trouble.  As it is, you can set it pretty much dead on.  

Currently it moves in increments of 1% (entire ruler is 100%).  One increment off (I call it an RCH) at 200 yards would be 2 yards.  That's well within the circle of precision.  I thought about moving it in increments of 1 pixel, which would be 360 or so increments, but it doesn't seem worthwhile.

I thought about using a transparent window as a windage adjuster for the side wind component.  Express my adjustment in flagsticks instead of yards, presuming a 7 foot flagstick.  Then zoom on the green, click the top of the flagstick, click the bottom of the flagstick, and a line draws from the bottom out to the side the appropriate distance.

I haven't bothered because it's too easy to do mentally unless the adjustment gets to be over 20-30 yards (some St. Andrews games).

I haven't offered the ruler to others because, frankly, I don't want to have to make it adaptable to differing OSes, monitor resolutions, window sizes, and club sets.

Gr8, you're right about the putting meter being offset and shorter.  When I click the "Putt" button on my ruler, it moves right and shortens by the appropriate amount.

RSS