Forums

Help › Forums

Kiawah #9

Sat, Oct 6 2012 12:08 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Fri, Oct 5 2012 10:26 AM

I've noticed something odd about the length of this hole before but today it was critical in my match and made me a little angry.

It plays 415 yards at Master level. I dinged my drive 295 yards in the dead center.  Should have roughly 120 yards left right?  How does 174 sound?  Anyone have an idea what's up with this????

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Oct 5 2012 11:35 AM

Noticed a few odd lengths lately..eg :- #1 & #15 Beth played off shorter tees for me than a T/M..don't know if this has always been the case..?....Andy

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Oct 5 2012 2:11 PM

I experienced shorter tees in a tourney that I played today, this week's free multiround open at KIA. Alas, this happens on purpose for variation of the tourneys.

In private rounds or CC tourneys it should not happen.

A fact that happens all the time, though, is playing length differing from the scorecard on Par 4s and Par 5s due to the different pin positions. We have discussed this for OAK and STA more than once.

KIA #9 has a new pin position in the back left, it might play quite a few yards longer than the first one close to green start. Won't check it out, but you'll see the real pin distance from the tee when hovering over the blue dot (you) on the overview down right.

Edit: On the scorecards, the length to one pin position is given. When the other pin is used, scorecard length is not changed.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Oct 5 2012 2:14 PM

alcaucin:

Noticed a few odd lengths lately..eg :- #1 & #15 Beth played off shorter tees for me than a T/M..don't know if this has always been the case..?....Andy

This is by design.

The official hole lengths for the US Open are in fact shorter than the regular championship tees (white?) - I found the scorecards in the internet.

• imperialrock
    217 Posts
    Fri, Oct 5 2012 8:37 PM

Just play the length of shot you're presented with.  Scorecard doesn't really matter once you're playing.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Oct 5 2012 9:18 PM

Today Kia has been a disaster.....     Shots going way too far....  so I adapt and they they are way too short...

I've been around far too long now to say it's the deviation... or whatever they call it...lol (trying not to swear....lol)

Wgt tweaks.... hmmmm

-Roger

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 4:29 AM

Alosso,  Thanks for your input but I'm afraid a change in pin position could possibly account for a 10 to 20 yard variance.  But a 54 yard variance cannot be explained by a change of pins.

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:20 AM

The yardage is wrong on this hole by about 30 yds but you've been around long enough to know this and allow for it.  Besides as has been stated by imperialrock, just play the distance you're presented with. 

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:47 AM
    I don't want to be rude, but you and imperialrock apparently don't understand how a person (at least me) enjoys being able to compete at a high level at golf as they have been able to for the past 40 years. While I'm well aware that this is just a computer game, it's realism actually gives me an adrenaline boost when hitting a clutch shot. To have struck what I believe is the perfect shot turn out to be only adequate is very disappointing. I was only venting with my post, but a response of basically "Live with it", shows a lack of understanding of the full situation.
    Thank you WGT for giving me the opportunity to play competitive golf in my twilight years.
  • Steve442
    710 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:50 AM

gerryniswonger:

I don't want to be rude, but you and imperialrock apparently don't understand how a person (at least me) enjoys being able to compete at a high level at golf as they have been able to for the past 40 years. While I'm well aware that this is just a computer game, it's realism actually gives me an adrenaline boost when hitting a clutch shot. To have struck what I believe is the perfect shot turn out to be only adequate is very disappointing. I was only venting with my post, but a response of basically "Live with it", shows a lack of understanding of the full situation.
    Thank you WGT for giving me the opportunity to play competitive golf in my twilight years.

That's not rude, it is fully understandable. I too get a buzz out of playing well on here, particularly a course that I've played in real life like St. Andrews. I meant no offense with my initial reply.

Just as a guide I've just played hole 9 from the championship tees (464 yds). I hit my drive 302 yds and slightly left of the middle.

That should leave approx 162 yds to the centre of the green (where the official distance is normally measured) but as the flag was on the back I had 169 yds which seems pretty accurate to me. The green is 30 yds from front to back.

• PAGES
RSS