Impossible to qualify for Major championships if you are not at master level

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:28 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • aidan456
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 7:18 AM

Hi,

I'm at pro level - i shoot mostly one or two under par on average. However, i feel that the qualifying for the majors is impossible for anyone but a master who has the clubs in the bag to give him/her the distance on a drive to make the fairway. Anyone who is not at master level is at such a disadvantage there is no point in bothering to qualify. A fairer way to do it so that qualifying is more inclusive is to have seperate qualifying for each tier and the top 40 from each section going forward on the day to play the single 18. Thoughts ? 

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 7:36 AM

i suppose you think a pro could grab some kmart knock-offs and play from the tips at sta, oakmont? just sayin. JB

• aidan456
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 7:45 AM

Not at all. My understanding is that unless you reach master level you are unable to purchase clubs that would enable you to make the fairways off the tee in qualifying - which is why its so much more difficult for non masters.

• southcliffe
    8 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:13 AM

i agree, there should be an incentive for all tiers.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:45 AM

i'm with you guys, i could'nt do squat on bethpage until an upgrade. these qualifiers are the open and u.s. open they should be played in the most difficult conditions, just like the pros will see. good luck. JB

• INTERSECT
    43 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 10:44 AM

The only incentive for the other tiers to post their score is the sweepstakes. Otherwise, if you're just aiming for the cap and the glory, master tier is only the way to go. I'll be surprised if any pro make the top 156+ties.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:03 PM

Hey aidan

For the most part I agree with you. Unfortuantley any new members this tourney may bring in I believe will scare them off fast..... Its hard to say the least

BUT on the other hand this may be a good thing. MIght actually bring some of those sandbagger out of their shell :)

Two sides to every story

• mwb5010
    33 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:10 PM

it's supposed to be the hardest test, bethpage was ridiculous last year.  i think the greens on both of these courses are really tough, i usually shoot 8 under or so per round and i am having trouble breaking par.  if you're still a pro you probably arent one of the top 186 or whatever so that's why you arent competing.  needed the new driver to do bethpage last year try to get yourself to master in the next 2 weeks and buy the new ones.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:48 PM

Its a MAJOR Championship, not a tier level tourney.  For most pro's it will be near impossible to win or maybe qualify, but they have the sweepstakes for a lucky winner.  For most PRO's who actually play and practice it does kind of suck, but personally I like that this is for the best player on the site, and quite obvious that winner will be a master.  Many of the pro's can use this as an incentive to step up to the plate and push themselves to make master tier to club up.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:01 PM

Calm down peeps. It's only a game.

• PAGES
RSS