Forums

Help › Forums

New to WGT

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 30 2013 10:51 AM (20 replies)
  • Ladychipper
    23,001 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 11:17 AM

I hear you!  Already played with someone who made fun of me being a newbie. 

• Ladychipper
    23,001 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 11:20 AM

You are so right!  It is addictive for sure, but I love it!  Love to play regular golf outdoors as well. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 1:44 PM

Ladychipper:

You are so right!  It is addictive for sure, but I love it!  Love to play regular golf outdoors as well. 

LOL Yes this game should have a warning on sign up, about the games addictive traits.

One thing I will which I normally wouldn't say to someone new, but I think It should be pointed out, as this is the web, you will run into all sorts, and a very small minority can be crude (especially to females). If you do run into player like this, just screenshot their comments and send into WGT. WGT and 99% of the players will not tolerate such behaviour.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 5:32 PM

Smile and remember, it is just a GAME! If you are competitive (as it seems most of us who play here are :)), you've have to learn to shrug off unexplainable ball trajectories, crappy and early/late shots, overly strong putts,wind at the British courses (Royal St. George and St.Andrews - why did you people build courses in hurricane zones??) and the greens at Oakmont ( ok and Bethpage, Congressional, et alia - just what in the heck is wrong with FLAT- LEVEL Surfaces?) and griping by people who shoot unbelievably low scores and are unhappy because they aren't even lower! 

It's really fun- if you don't take it too seriously.

If you're going to take it seriously, you should entertain a graduate degree in mathematics, especially as it relates to "side wind components", coefficients of ball dimples and top/bottom spin and playing uneven lies.  You will find it all here!

As well as a lot of nice people who enjoy helping newcomers!

Welcome

• bigstupid
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 9:48 PM

Wheels65:

Smile and remember, it is just a GAME! If you are competitive (as it seems most of us who play here are :)), you've have to learn to shrug off unexplainable ball trajectories, crappy and early/late shots, overly strong putts,wind at the British courses (Royal St. George and St.Andrews - why did you people build courses in hurricane zones??) and the greens at Oakmont ( ok and Bethpage, Congressional, et alia - just what in the heck is wrong with FLAT- LEVEL Surfaces?) and griping by people who shoot unbelievably low scores and are unhappy because they aren't even lower! 

It's really fun- if you don't take it too seriously.

If you're going to take it seriously, you should entertain a graduate degree in mathematics, especially as it relates to "side wind components", coefficients of ball dimples and top/bottom spin and playing uneven lies.  You will find it all here!

As well as a lot of nice people who enjoy helping newcomers!

Welcome

• nyctc7
    160 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 5:11 AM

Play the free weekly and monthly stroke play tournaments as they offer more exp points. They are played solo.

• Ladychipper
    23,001 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 11:49 AM

Thank you all for your help here! 

How does one search for certain info in here?  I would like to know what I need to do to move out of the Hack status for one thing. 

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 12:18 PM

Ladychipper:

How does one search for certain info in here?  I would like to know what I need to do to move out of the Hack status for one thing. 

I think you have to get your average below 80. It shouldn't take long.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 2:05 PM

Ladychipper -

You've played enough rounds to have a basic idea   of how the game operates. So it mightbe a good time to read a  little  about how to get better.

Go to the "Game Tips" section of this forum and look at the following:

StoneCold on putting - http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/136065.aspx

Iconian on Chipping & Pitching - http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/7840.aspx

nivlac on  one method of controlling putter distances - http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx

You might want to review the FAQ section about "levels and tiers"

You will also want to start to gain credits by taking surveys & watching commercials (you can get there by clicking "GET CREDITS" then "Free Credits" 

You'll need these to upgrade your equipment as you gain more experience. 

Finally,  practice and laugh when you mess up : )

• EasyEdward
    13,507 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 10:15 AM

Ladychipper:

That is strange - to move out of Hack to Amateur Tier it used to be 5 rounds with an average of under 100 (thus you should be there aready as you have 7 rounds and a mid 90s average).  Maybe it is 10 rounds now? - or a 90 average?

To go from Amateur to Pro takes 10 rounds as an Amateur and an 80 average.

But do not worry about moving up in tiers most important is to have fun and gain the experience - the tiers will take care of themselves. 

Ed

PS Itis also fun to find someone that wants to teach different shots and give advice in a non-threatening way.

RSS