Forums

Help › Forums

Calling BS

Mon, Jan 6 2014 3:46 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ClayJones
    243 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2014 6:21 PM

I truly hate that my 1st post here is not positive, but that's how it is.

Lost 2 consecutive balls on the Kiawah tourney on Hole 2 after a perfectly good drive. Balls are expensive, so I like to think about my shots before risking them. I hit 2 perfectly good 3W's into the 2nd f/w just as I have done numerous times before only these Callaways find the ditch and are lost. That's BS.

I try to play and enjoy the game, try to get better, try to have fun etc. but when 1 shot costs me 185 credits....I call BS!

Needless to say, I DQ'd myself after taking a 9 on a straightforward, somewhat simple hole.

• acebishop
    116 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2014 2:26 PM

did you have  headwind? There is a high lip that causes ball to bounce in ditch.  Lost many balls on same shot.  Played the hole conservative untill i had clubs with high lift.

Looking at your clubs can see how that could happen, not fun but happens.  With your clubs you should use lower priced balls till you can get nicer clubs.

The Callaways work very well with higher clubs.  Just dont give up.

Ace

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2014 2:53 PM

+1 . You cant hit decent shots , with poor clubs . Save your credits , for better clubs , and upgrades .For what you spent on 2 sleeves of callys , you could have replaced your wedges. 2 sleeves a new 3 wood , and so on . Start with better clubs , and then better balls .

• ClayJones
    243 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 4:00 AM

As I recall it, seemed like there was a 16 or18 MPH headwind. A distance marker showed 165 on the far edge of the ditch, which I also used as an aiming point. I guess I just miscalculated the shot. Oh well, lol....s*it happens.

Thanks for the advice on the clubs....makes sense and since I really enjoy my time here I will upgrade. And buy a new sleeve :)

Hit 'em well!

• acebishop
    116 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 12:44 PM

Great reply ClayJones.  A real gentlemen golfer.  Hope we can play a round sometime.

Ace

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 1:29 PM

lonniescott711:
    You cant hit decent shots , with poor clubs

Depends on what you call a decent shot. In the OP's example, a 7 or 8 iron for the approach would work quite nicely, no need to bring the hazard into play to begin with-lay up in front of it.

You CAN hit decent shots with inferior clubs, you just have to play accordingly.  :-)

As long as this hole is the topic of sorts, I have a question about it, specifically hitting into that hazard. Why is the drop not in front of the hazard at the point of entry? I'm sure there's a reason but I'm not sure what it is.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 1:51 PM

YankeeJim:
    I have a question about it, specifically hitting into that hazard. Why is the drop not in front of the hazard at the point of entry? I'm sure there's a reason but I'm not sure what it is.

+1 

This should be the case, not a penalty and distance but drop zones and penalties in this game are its weakness. #18 Congressional is another hole that immediately springs to mind.

As for the OP - I agree, you are effectively wasting credits using a premium ball. You would be much better off playing a cheaper WGT ball,  until  you have clubs that will get the most out of the balls and you are less likely to lose them.

Sadly the starters clubs are not precise nor forgiving, especially out of rough, so you need to play  conservatively but this comes from experience. Even with top clubs, if I find 30-40 rough from my drive on #2 KIA, I play short of the ditch and accept a longer approach to the green. Course management is an intergral part of this game, just as in real life golf.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 2:00 PM

YankeeJim:
    As long as this hole is the topic of sorts, I have a question about it, specifically hitting into that hazard. Why is the drop not in front of the hazard at the point of entry? I'm sure there's a reason but I'm not sure what it is.
    Though it is difficult to answer "why" questions here, I suppose that "legal, simple, good" stands behind this solution.

IMHO, the designers did their best to produce a legal drop (notwithstanding that they failed a few times). Here, "repeat the shot" is a legal option, and as a guess, it may be the most simple one. At such frontal water, the only other option would be to select a dropping point depending on the position of the ball lost in water - line from pin to ball - left, middle, right.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 2:07 PM

alosso:
    IMHO, the designers did their best to produce a legal drop (notwithstanding that they failed a few times).

A "Few" ?  :))

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 3:04 PM

Four unlegal drops AFAIS to be precise = a few.

Countless legal but less-than-optimal ones, including the sand on KIA #17, and CCC #18 AFAIK.

• PAGES
RSS