Forums

Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2014 7:27 PM

Thank you Lily for the Thomas Jefferson piece!

Washington's life mask from The Morgan Library

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 12:19 PM

Since everyone dropped the ball on 23 February, here's yesterday's belated ...

• Dakota Fanning - 20
    • Peter Fonda - 74
    • George Frideric Handel (1685 - 1759)

And a special "Happy Belated to ... Steve Stricker, PGA professional who turned 47.

Also on the 23rd ...

• 1866 - the British invent "Classified Advertisements, by posting the world's first classified ad in the London Times
    • 1896 - Tootsie Rolls hit the market
    • 1940 - Disney's Pinocchio is released
    • 1945 - The US Marines capture Iwo Jima ... the photograph is world renowned ... I'm certain everyone has seen this ...

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 12:25 PM

24 February ...

Okay, I'm back on track ... sorry for all those belated's.

Today, we celebrate PGA Pro Zach Johnson's birthday ... he's 38 today.

For singers, "I drink alone" George Thorogood is 64 ... and Sammy Kershaw is 56.

Apple computer company's Steven Jobs (1955 - 2011) 

One of my favorite comedians, Mitch Hedberg (1968 - 2005).

And for the actors/actresses ...

• Kristin Davis - 49
    • Abe Vigoda - 93
    • Billy Zane - 48
    • Edward James Olmos - 67
    • Barry Bostwick - 69
    • James Farentino (1938 - 2012)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 4:37 PM

I did drop it...Thanks to D-Kat, she picked it up...also, in 1582, Pope Gregory XIII issued an edict outlining his calender reforms...the Gregorian...in use today. And, in 1803,  The Marbury vs Madison decision was made.

Bye

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 25 2014 7:19 AM

February 25

1398 - Xuande, Emperor of China

1643 - Ahmed II, 21st Sultan of Turkey

1841 - Pierre Renoir, Limojes, France... seriously gifted Impressionist Painter...his work, all of it, is most delicious.

1873 - Enrico Caruso, Naples, Italy...operatic tenor with amazing penetration...with RCA Victor at the start of the 1900s, he recorded and was first to sell a million early records...his voice is still to this day, available on CD. Golly! What a voice.

1907 - Zeppo Marx

also...In 1836, Samuel Colf patented his revolver

in 1901, J.P. Morgan incorporated U.S. Steel

and in 1913, the genius of government, the 16th amendment was declared in effect giving Congress the power to levy and collect income taxes...no printable comment is available from me. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2014 8:03 AM

February 26

1802 - Victor Hugo, France...the great writer, best known for "Les Miserables" and "Notre-Dame de Paris" aka "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame" also many notable quotes...and on February 17, 1836 he received some rather "hot" words from French actress, Juliette Drouet --- "There are days when one can fix one's eyes upon the sun itself without being blinded: thus it is with me now. I see you, I am dazzled, entranced, and I grasp your beauty in all its splendour."

1808 - Honore Daumier, Marseille, France...Painter, printmaker, sculpter noted for commentary of political and social life in 19th century France.

1829 - Levi Strauss...still the best jeans for ~SP~

1846 - William "Buffalo Bill" Cody...the real one. Not the one Clarice Starling was after.

1852 - John Harvey Kellogg...corn flakes

1866 - Herbert Henry Dow...lover of chemicals

1907 - Dub Taylor...ratted out Clyed & Bonnie in the movie...gotta love "Dub"

...oh. and in 1815, Napoleon Bonaparte escaped from exile on the island of Elba...he once wrote in 1807 to Madam Marie Walewska. "I have seen only you, I admired only you, I desire only you"...ooh! smooth operater! I wonder if that swung the "Hokey Pokey"

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2014 2:55 PM

SweetiePie:

February 26

1802 - Victor Hugo, France...the great writer, best known for "Les Miserables" and "Notre-Dame de Paris" aka "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame" also many notable quotes.

1808 - Honore Daumier, Marseille, France...Painter, printmaker, sculpter noted for commentary of political and social life in 19th century France.

1829 - Levi Strauss...still the best jeans for ~SP~

1846 - William "Buffalo Bill" Cody...the real one. Not the one Clarice Starling was after.

1852 - John Harvey Kellogg...corn flakes

1866 - Herbert Henry Dow...lover of chemicals

1907 - Dub Taylor...ratted out Clyed & Bonnie in the movie...gotta love "Dub"

...oh. and in 1815, Napoleon Bonaparte escaped from exile on the island of Elba...he once wrote in 1807 to Madam Marie Walewska. "I have seen only you, I admired only you, I desire only you"...ooh! smooth operater! I wonder if that swung the "Hokey Pokey"

My bday 2 ;) accepting nike +48s lol

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Feb 27 2014 7:39 AM

Well, Happy Birthday to wgt's own aussieguyadam! Oh, he wants some balls.

February 27

1907 - The Great Gene Sarazen...how bout that little albie at Augusta #15 (was it a 2- wood?)

272 - Constantine I, Roman Emporor who adopted Christianity

1622 - Carel Febritius, one of Rembrandt's most gifted students. He died young, at 32, and his great work is very rare lacking in number. Still amazing.

1807 - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, poet ( my Father tells me that when at college, he was always looking for young, female literature majors that could help straighten out his Longfellow)

1850 - Henry Edward Huntington, Railroad smartie, spectacular homeowner in San Marino that is now the Huntington Library that houses within the giant, Grand Ballroom, the "Blueboy" & "Pinkie" paintings along with an array of breathtaking Gainsborough & Reynolds Masterpieces.

1897 - Marian Anderson, American contralto

1902 - John Steinbeck

1917 - John Connally, Texas Govenor who received a second-hand piece of lead that had travelled through the neck of John Kennedy.

1932 - Elizabeth Taylor

• TarheelsRule
    5,552 Posts
    Thu, Feb 27 2014 8:45 AM

Actually Sarazen hit a four wood to make his double eagle in the Master's many years ago.  

In my opinion he is one of the most under rated players of all time and definitely the most inventive.  He won 7 majors and is one of only 5 golfers who have the career grand slam (winning all the majors).  He is widely held as the inventor of the modern sand wedge.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Feb 28 2014 8:34 AM

TarheelsRule:

Actually Sarazen hit a four wood to make his double eagle in the Master's many years ago.  

Thanks Tarsky...It makes me feel good about using my 1950 MacGregor 4-wood.

February 28

1155 - Henry The Young King, son of Henry II

1261 - Margaret of Scotland, Queen of Norway...Norway? how did that come about?

1670 - Benjamin Wadsworth, President of Harvard University...at one time a very first rate school...now, not. Along with most of the Ivy League that provide only a future, but no viable or actual education nor useful knowledge. But still pretty expensive.

1712 - Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, French Military Commander

1906 - Bejamin "Bugsy" Siegel, The Rotten Human who invented Las Vegas and was expertly shot several times in the head & upper body in Beverly Hills as he read the Los Angeles times. I have so much, much more I could write about him, but this is already more of a nod that this Trash deserves.

1948 - Bernadette Peters, Awesome on Broadway!

RSS