Help › Forums

Our Virtual Golf World

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 5 2010 12:29 AM (21 replies)
  • dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 1:26 AM

Hi All
    I have been reading all the negative comments about this Virtual Golf World we live in, and in particular comments on the new Bethpage Black course.

I'd just like to make the following comments on WGT and our Virtual Golf World.

1 - The VIRTUAL GOLF WORLD is so very, very much easier than the real golf world, and much, much cheaper!! There are very few if any players playing in this virtual golf world that could match their scores in the real world. Tibbets and Co are shootng low to mid 60's, to me even that is unrealistic. They could not possibly shoot those scores day in day out in the real world - impossible. So !! It is much much easier sat in front of our computers.

2 - WGT are a real company. Yes REAL. How do they survive? How do they pay their employees? Well I'll tell you one thing - its not with virtual money thats for sure. They are a real company and real companies survive by making real money. How do WGT make money? Well, I guess they make money mainly from their sponsors, but also from the money we players spend on club upgrades. Thats the way it is, and I for one dont have any problems with that. No - I am not a rich kid, I dont have a lot of money, but I can afford to buy the odd club. I bought the starter set + I have just bought a driver for $7.50  Thats it for me. I was made redundant a few years ago and am trying to retire and make ends meet in this very difficult world we live in right now. I wish it was virtual, it would be a lot easier :-)  I guess if this game is too difficult for some, then you could try buying Tiger Woods 2009, or PGA 2009 - if they exist, but it will cost you $50 or $100 bucks - and you'll need to upgrade in 12 months. Pretty expensive to my way of thinking!!

3 - Winning !! How many players do we think could win a US Open or a Masters? Well I would think there would be an elite few - right?. The Tigers and a few others of the top players in the world. So it is in the virtual world. There will be an elite few who have the chance of winning at Bethpage Black. It will be the Tibbets and Co of our virtual world. Thats the reality. In the real world other players make up the numbers and hope they make the cut. I guess having made the cut they hope to string together a couple of outstanding rounds and hope they can finish top 10 or even maybe win with that round of a lifetime. So it is in the Virtual world. I will not win the Virtual US Open, I may not even make the cut, but I really dont mind - see, I play this game for the sheer challenge and enjoyment of it. I am playing against myself and the course. Simply trying to post better rounds with the hope of maybe making the cut. If I dont then I'm not good enough at the moment. One things for sure though - it wont be for lack of trying.

Also when coming from a world of entirely single player golf games, where difficulty can be set, the player can choose to BE Tiger Woods, etc... you may come to WGT hoping to "win" too, however as with all multiplayer games, and this could possibly be called a MMOG, you play against hundreds or thousands of people all hoping to win, playing their hardest. You have to put things in perspective and change your goals from winning, to things like making the cut or finishing in the top 100.

4 - Game problems. OK there are a few issues with the game play. Ok - I cant reach the fairways on BB either on a few holes, but thats cool. Yes the swing meter maybe has issues. The putting is not easy, the tiers are different now. We've all been bumped up a level, and that makes it all the more difficult to play - dont forget though, golf is not an easy game to play. It is still in BETA testing also, which means the game is not quite finished.

In closing I'd just like to say that what we have here is an incredible product. WGT have done an awesome job of putting (pardon the pun) this product on the market for us to play - and for free. OK it is only a game, and no its not perfect, but boy it is realistic and it is great fun - warts an all.

WGT need all the support they can get right now, so lets all get behind them and make this an even better place to be.

Sorry to those people who disagree, and there are many of you out there - but thats just my 2 bobs worth. Oh yeh - I dont work for WGT either, and am not getting paid to put this post up!!

Did I mention the game isn't finished (BETA) and its free? Course I did !!

Cheers Doug

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 1:45 AM

/standing ovation.

Hear, hear!  Well said, mate.  Well said indeed.

Very eloquent for an Aussie, mate... I'm impressed!  (kidding of course!)

Cheers!

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 2:14 AM

Congrats on a great post Dorkfeatures, and very well written too.  I like your attitude and I hope people who read this post will change their attitude toward this game.  This is the kind of things we should have more of, well done mate.

I noticed that wgt 's staff rarely get enough credit or praise for their work, and I definitely think they deserve a lot more.  They listen to our opinions and recommendations and they're always try to make this game more enjoyable for us.  We should also try to understand that they're working within a certain boundary limit so when things don't go our way, it's not because they don't want to do it, but maybe because they can't. 

Finally I would like to say thank you everyone at wgt for providing this awesome game.  The Us Open experience is something that is extraordinary and goes way beyond my imagination of what a golf game could become, congrats to you all at wgt.

• JDHaring
    88 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 2:48 AM

Well said, and I agree with everything you said. I hope WGT will continue to iron out the wrinkles like the speed meter issues, inconsistencies with wind factors, inconsistencies with hook/slice factors, letting us drive a bit farther so we can hit all the fairways.

It can be frustrating but then, golf IS often a frustrating game. In a way, that's part of the fun and certainly a measure of the challenge.

If I were asked for my opinion as to what suggestions I would make for improving the game, it would be nice to have some options regarding which tee boxes we play from, (even if it were only in the "practice" mode for the sake of honing our skills) as well as adjusting the cutoff points for the tiers so that guys like me can still play from the pro tees instead of having to play the tournament tees before I'm really qualified.

I would love it if WGT would add a putting challenge so we could get some more intensive practice in reading greens. It would be great if there were a driving range where we could practice our swing and get "warmed up".

In the meantime, I very much enjoy the game and am thankful to have found it. So I will just try to be patient and hope that this "work in progress" continues to progress to improve the experience.

J. D. Haring

• JDHaring
    88 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 3:10 AM

Well, It had been a long time since I took a look at the practice mode and was happy to see the improvements there. I found out that we DO have a lot of new options for tee boxes, wind etc., very cool, thanks for that.

• TexasDwight
    3 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 5:39 AM

Well Said Dork.........

A lot of people should read this sign that is on the 1st tee at Black.

Maybe flash this at the American Express card blurb during game loading?

Lord knows I have CF Frost's Amex # memorized ;-)

Maybe then the fact that this is supposed to be realistic will set in.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 5:59 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your positive comments.

I just felt that I had to say something in opposition to this torrent of negativity, and complaints that are all to easy to write.

As you mention I think, Coolswing - WGT deserve a lot more credit than they get. A lot more positive posts to offset the continual stream of complaints would be nice to see.

Cya's on the course.

Cheers Doug

1,644 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 12:32 PM

Well said sir!  Exactly what I've been wanting to get across for the last week, just couldn't putt (pun) it all together.

And great job to the folks at WGT!

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2009 8:18 AM

Great Post!!!  You hit the nail on the head.

• nhlett
    64 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 2:57 PM

Bravo to you all ! It's about time there is a positive thread about WGT.

I am late reading this because I have been getting my butt kicked by Beth Page. I went from Hack to Pro over night, Like so many others and my average went up 10 points.

I have probably been in every sand trap, and I don't even want to talk about the rough. It is a tough course! get over it ! (Not you guys, the winers)

But you know what, I shot an 82 last night and I was thrilled. my best until then was 90. That using the starter clubs, I considered buying clubs but decided learn to use new clubs on BPB was insane.

WGT, add me to the list of your fans.

Nhlett

RSS