What if ?? V.E.M. was disabled?

Tue, Apr 15 2014 1:05 PM (60 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 10:08 AM

People talk for,

and also against VEM.

I'd like to be neutral, and ask for your comments on:

What would be some of the results if VEM was disabled?

Some curious inquiries I would have is:

a) How might this affect a beginner with nice equipment?

b) How might this affect a tour legend with starter equipment?

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 1:29 PM

VEM, as most golfers on this site think of it, is a myth.  In reality, it is simply how the equipment is programmed to react depending on the various course conditions and how each golfer used the equipment.

You're welcome.  :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 1:46 PM

Dougie4042:
    VEM, as most golfers on this site think of it, is a myth.

Erm, are you serious? You might want to read up on it a little before you go saying something like that. Some of the perceptions might be a myth but count on it being a real deal. 

IMO, JF, I think you'd see absolutely ridiculous, unrealistic  low scores akin to cartoon golf with a great many HIOs and hole-outs. It would become a ding contest and there's stuff out there that can do that for you. LOL, basically disaster.  ;-)

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 1:58 PM

YankeeJim:
    Erm, are you serious?

There he is!  And a good day to you, good sir.  :-)

P. S. - And congrats on going over 15,000 career posts!  I gotta get Andyson to put together one of his funny graphics for you.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 2:03 PM

WGT must have some real fancy lawyers. Getting a full patent on a myth, now that's clever.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 2:21 PM

YankeeJim:

Dougie4042:

Erm, are you serious? You might want to read up on it a little before you go saying something like that. Some of the perceptions might be a myth but count on it being a real deal. 

IMO, JF, I think you'd see absolutely ridiculous, unrealistic  low scores akin to cartoon golf with a great many HIOs and hole-outs. It would become a ding contest and there's stuff out there that can do that for you. LOL, basically disaster.  ;-)

I'd say it is a myth as well, and I've read my share of theories on the forums...

edit- I wish I could believe in VEM, would give me good excuse for the crappy rounds I've been playing other than me just sucking...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 2:31 PM

BolloxInBruges:

I'd say it is a myth as well, and I've read my share of theories on the forums...

edit- I wish I could believe in VEM, would give me good excuse for the crappy rounds I've been playing other than me just sucking...

LOL. Heard it all now.   :-)

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 2:42 PM

PaulTon:
    WGT must have some real fancy lawyers. Getting a full patent on a myth, now that's clever.

You never know with them lawyers!  They clever with them words!  o.O

BolloxInBruges:

Well, can I play you soon?  I wanna be able to say I beat one of the greats!  I probably won't, but a brother can dream, yes? 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 3:01 PM

YankeeJim:

Dougie4042:

It exists, no two ways about it.  Agree with what YJ said.

On from that mostly it serves it purpose.  Sometimes a bit silly as it's not perfect how it applies what it intends.  Just had a 3.7' pan cake flat putt at Merion, Legend tourney greens .  My new super dooper L86 Versa on only the 15' scale dinged at 29%, and yep .2 inches short.........In fairness it's rare I walk away thinking that's a real pi$$er, but a good reminder it exists.  Yes I know I could have hit it harder, and rear view mirrors asking for trouble, but that would have dropped often as well....Reminder all round..

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 3:05 PM

For what it's worth, I think most folks confuse VEM with the deviation that's inherent in their clubs (forgiveness and precision...or rather, the lack of it).

Interesting to read Sam's thoughts on it though.

RSS