Help › Forums

Connection Problems - at wit's end

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 8 2015 4:04 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CaptainObvious
    12 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 1:41 PM

I've far fewer problems the past couple of days after hooking up directly to the modem instead of going through the router, and then switching back again.  Perhaps the process o rebooting the modem and router a few dozen times trying to figure out the problem resolved some communication error.

With that said, I've only had fewer problems, not resolved everything.  I used to get the "retry" screen several times every hole.  Now it only happens 3-4 times per game.  So, I guess that is an improvement. Instead of being at "wit's end", we'll say I'm now at "wit's mid-point".  If it continues with only a few drops per game, and lets me back in immediately without having to close the game window, it is at least playable.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 1:53 PM

This is encouraging. One question about your direct hookup-are you plugging in to the back of the wireless modem or going direct to the ISP's modem? Get the wireless modem out of the way for a spell and see if that doesn't change it further.

Make sure if you're switching to the ISP modem direct you conduct a cold reboot with the modem hooked up. This should force Windows to get the configuration right.  Reset the modem itself before you power up the computer.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Dec 10 2014 12:37 PM

While I do use Google's Chrome browser to play WGT, I have my computer configured to use Comodo's secure domain name servers.

However, since making that change I have seen no change in how often I have connection issues - which is almost never. But, I avoid the multiplayer games, like Alt Shot and Match Play, that have always been plagued by connection issues.

• CaptainObvious
    12 Posts
    Wed, Jan 7 2015 10:08 PM

Just an update on this to close it out.  Connection problems completely resolved bythemselves...(I'm pretty sure that isn't a word?).  In any case:  no more connection problems after about a month straight of issues.  I have no clue what resolved it.  None whatsoever.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Jan 8 2015 4:04 AM

CaptainObvious:
      In any case:  no more connection problems after about a month straight of issues.  I have no clue what resolved it.  None whatsoever.

Yeah that sounds about right, the ghost in the machine has found a new victim to toy with.

Make the most of the good times...

• PAGES
RSS