Help › Forums

Putting question for the 'experts'

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 13 2012 5:11 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 9:04 PM

To all the 'experts' out there.. in general, when putting, do you try to hit the 'ding'?  I find on even the shortest of putts, if I miss the ding I almost always miss the putt.  To me, trying to miss just doesn't feel right, but there have been times where I've missed the ding on the correct side and the putt still drops.  On the other hand, there are many times where I barely miss it and the putt almost always misses on that side, even inside 10 feet.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 10:11 PM

I not an expert but my putting is ok.

Putting Avg. Per Hole 1.34
    Putting Avg. Per Round 12.53
    One Putt % 66.17%
    Two Putt % 31.77%
    Three Putts or More % 2.05%

Putting is one of those things you need to find a system that works best for you , hitting or not hitting the ding before the line or after. Most players have there own system they use to working out how to putt , work out brake & speed & each to there own ( if it works it works) 

I have given a few friends advice how to putt , but not going to post information in the forums.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:47 AM

I don't move the flagstick when putting... I only move when there is a very fast roll. I click before or after the ding depending on how fast the dots are going. Very good post in this section about distance control, if you have the distance worked out then, with practice clicking before or after the ding works pretty good

cheers

Roger

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:42 AM

On straight in putts you have to ding, no way around it. On slight breaking puts move the curser slightly to compensate for break and ding. On putts with more than a foot of break I find missing ding early  on left to right and missing ding late on right to left will help you make more putts. Of course the faster the greens and the larger the break the more early/late you hit, which comes down to experience. Good luck!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:54 AM

I think sixkiller nailed it. The Ghost got me all screwed up because I used to do like mantis but the putter is so accurate this actually hurt it. As it is, if you want to miss with it you have to miss a lot-like 1/2 the meter and it gets silly. What really helps is missing slightly on the side of the break. If your aim is a little off and you ding the putt you could miss. Just one or 2 pixels on the break side greatly enhances your chances.

• WiredBullets
    103 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 8:26 AM

There's also another side to this.. If you get comfortable shooting the way mantis does with the starter putter.. then there's really no reason to upgrade. I can pretty much one putt anything under 20ft (givin its not a horrendous break) with the starter putter.. So my theory is, if it aint broke dont fix it.. so why bother upgrading...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 8:42 AM

WiredBullets:
    So my theory is, if it aint broke dont fix it.. so why bother upgrading...

Because the lack of accuracy will catch up to you. As a Tour Pro you can get away with it. Tier up to the tighter tolerances and you'll see.  :-)

• BustaSpliff
    417 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 9:39 AM

Suncity!!!     that  comment  you  just made  (( 

I have given a few friends advice how to putt , but not going to post information in the ))forums.

reminds me of a kid when i was 6   saying""    Im taking my ball home so no one can  play!!  

lmao  grow  up

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 10:06 AM

CMcCartney727:

To all the 'experts' out there.. in general, when putting, do you try to hit the 'ding'?  I find on even the shortest of putts, if I miss the ding I almost always miss the putt.  To me, trying to miss just doesn't feel right, but there have been times where I've missed the ding on the correct side and the putt still drops.  On the other hand, there are many times where I barely miss it and the putt almost always misses on that side, even inside 10 feet.

I find for breaky putts under 10ft... there is a much higher chance of making it if you miss the ding intentionally against the break. This can be done either in conjunction to moving the pointer or alone. This ensures the ball is breaking above the cup and reduces the number of silly misses caused by missing the ding on the side of the break. Personally, for putts in the 15-20ft range I always try to hit the ding. Btw I am by no means an expert.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2011 10:06 PM

Thanks for all your advise.  So frustrated with this.  It's with putts between 8 - 15 feet that I'm out of my mind lately...  It's a joke, really.  Short, long, left, right, lipouts.. no pattern at all.  Guess I'll just stick to playing the other green speeds until WGT works this out.

• PAGES
RSS