Forums

Help › Forums

How to Use the Flop.....and be sucessful at it!

Sat, Sep 8 2012 6:12 AM (26 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Mar 19 2011 7:27 PM

SGTBilko:

Flop: One of the least valued shots on here because most do not know how to use this 

Very good advice... All depends what your used to I suppose.... I use the Flop all the time, I hardly use a Chip as I find the Chip is too hit or miss for my liking.

I move the flagstick depending on roll of the greens and then, as SGTBilko said...click the line b4 the ding and the ball will go towards the Flag.

Cheers

Roger

• golfkid210
    313 Posts
    Sat, Mar 19 2011 10:13 PM

I've found that I've been using the flop a lot more recently.  I really don't trust the pitch, mainly because I haven't been able to figure out the distance on it.  I usually end up at least 5 yards away, and its been both short and long.  So if I'm too far from the green for a chip, and too close to trust my starter lob as a full shot, I'll use the flop.  

I've also started using the flop for greenside bunker shots.  Works especially well on St. A when you're close to the lip.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:55 AM

golfkid210:

I really don't trust the pitch.

You need clubs and balls with spin to make the pitch work. Learn to use it and you will lower your average.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 10:31 AM

SgtDoodles:

golfkid210:

I really don't trust the pitch.

You need clubs and balls with spin to make the pitch work. Learn to use it and you will lower your average.

Remember, full back spin and remember it will roll 4-5 yards more than the distance you hit so if it is say 30 to the pin shoot about 24-25 for your distance.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 12:15 PM

Chips and pitches are as good as putts from a lot of positions around the green, including rough. You learned how to get close with a full shot, don't stop there. Learn how to get close with these 2 shots and your scrambling % goes up, you hole an occasional shot and you putt less. They are not hard shots to learn. 

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:22 AM

For the Flop shot, you also need to take in consideration the wind. With a 20 to 30mph wind the shot will get seriously affected by a couple of feet and also the roll direction. Gl.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2011 8:18 AM

I've been using flop quite a bit lately when the landing area is severely sloped away. When I started here that's about the only shot I used around the green. Then I discovered how accurate using full shot is with this Satin 64°.

I have been practicing pitch and chip lately but I still can not get near as good with those as I can with full shot. Except for using chip shot  with the 64° when I'm on the fringe, around 6 yrds to the hole. Since that is the distance the 64 chips it's pretty easy to control.

I do need to practice the pitch more and get it down. I need that shot when I have an up slope on the green to the hole. The full shot doesn't have enough run out to increase my chances of holing it on severe upslopes.

Here's a 7 yrder using the 64° and full shot out of 30/40 I just holed while reading this thread lol

replay.aspx?ID=035a66f5 41c9 45c0 bca1 9f4300f875e4

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2011 10:37 AM

I do detect brother DarSum's getting past the full 64w for everything. Yay! I knew you'd get there, DS. Don't forsake the 80W chip-11 yards-it's very controllable and extremely accurate all the way down past 6.  ;-)

• Dianne81
    773 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:35 AM

WITH the cleveland wedges .....

Just off the green and less than 10yrds.. goto shot is a chip...  10-17 yrds ( or out of bad lies)  usually a pitch is called for    15-21 will flop many times ( or out of 15/20 bunkers) 

Outside of 20yrds  and up to 108yds, 70% of time a  punch shot  with various clubs will be called upon with the remaining 30% being pitch, flop, or a full shot depending on what the situation dictates

Before the cleveland wedges, I didnt chip or pitch much, choosing flops and punches as predominant short game shots.

• egonweber
    365 Posts
    Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:44 AM

I have ATV-wedges do good chip and pitch. But now when we get uneven lies, have practiced some, a bunker you have to flop to get out. Its my weakness i cant figure out how much power is needed to get 13 yds from 20%bunker, i know how to aim, because in sand dinger is needed.

Any good hints on how to flop out of all bunkers ??

how much power to get 20 yds from 50% etc.

Egon

RSS