Forums

Help › Forums

Putting distance into chipping distance

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:22 PM (1 replies)
  • Fatherbrown
    282 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:12 PM

I was playing Royal George.  Landed in the right side rough of hole 9.  Facing a 16 foot 13 inches up for the best stroke possiable.  Then I thought after I made a chip for 2 yards on the fringe.  How can I turn putting yardage into chipping yardage?   I don't know much about golf or the math that comes along in the game. I may be a master that's only because I play often. So, now using Cleveland wedges 5 yards to the hole on the fringe I pull out my Cleveland 60 deg.  go less than half the power on  bar because I'm trying to go 5 yards in the hole and the wedge is rated for 11 yards at full power.  After the chip the putt is 7.6 feet short.  Two strokes and I only went 9.6 feet from orginal distance.    So, again the question is.  How can I turn putting distance into chipping distance?        

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:22 PM

If you're chipping I find it easier to work in yards. Your chip is in yards so your distance just becomes a function of how hard you swing. Your example had 6 yards up 13. On that particular hole that elevation happens in a hurry because you're so close. You're not going to get the normal roll after landing because it's landing on an upslope so hitting half your wedge lands it short and it stops. Were the green flat your number probably would have worked.

What works good is switching to the putting view, looking at the reverse view and finding the spot where your chip is going to land and treat the roll from there as a putt. Just don't forget to switch back to the chip when you're aimed and ready.

RSS