Forums

Help › Forums

distance with/without tee, and other questions.

Thu, Jul 14 2011 2:09 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Jul 12 2011 6:02 PM
    okay i've been here awhile, i should know the answer to these questions, BUT, i'm not sure. if you screw up a drive and get a "drop" in tee box does it shorten your drive distance? if so, is it significant? if your club says it is a 175yard club and you are using a calloway is it going to be longer if you ding it? all other things being equal. if you hit a driver with a calloway your rated distance is based on the driver or the driver and the ball together? these questions came up because in learning my new cleveland wedges i have found my 60yard wedge to be much more inaccurate with the same ball as used with my 100 yard cleveland, in gaugeing the distance, power, required, all other things the same. i would have thought it would have been the reverse. experienced responses please. thank you.
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Jul 12 2011 9:34 PM

Anywhere on the tee will get you the same distance, with a peg or without. The average stated distance of the club stays the same, if you are hitting long or driving then you have to add the extra distance given by the better ball. Dinging doesn't affect distance, just straightness.Cleveland wedges take some getting used to, might be best to have a few practice rounds with them and take lots of notes. Hope this helps.

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Wed, Jul 13 2011 1:14 PM

The Cleveland 64W is very inconsistant when chocking down on it. I have had it since it became available and have since gone back to my Z 64W. I cannot figure out pitches and flops because it seems to be different everytime under the same conditions. No problem with the 60 or 56 wedges tho.

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Wed, Jul 13 2011 3:17 PM

duffer66:

The Cleveland 64W is very inconsistant when chocking down on it. I have had it since it became available and have since gone back to my Z 64W. I cannot figure out pitches and flops because it seems to be different everytime under the same conditions. No problem with the 60 or 56 wedges tho.

I have been using the 3 Cleveland Wedges for about a month now and have never had so many short putts! (Many within +/- 1 yard)

Have been keeping notes on exact distances of all shots using the Clevelands and find them very consistent if dinging the shot.

One thing that stands out though is backspin which can be fierce but as I use Tour-SD balls B/S is quite controllable.

Full, 95%, 90-80% and Pitch/Flop with the 64W seem to be excellent and very reliable after a bit of practice.

Best wedges ever made IMHO:)

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2011 11:02 AM

piztaker:

Dinging doesn't affect distance, just straightness.

Missing the ding does indeed effect distance, as well as direction...Harve

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2011 11:14 AM

hbthree:
    Missing the ding does indeed effect distance, as well as direction...Harve

It sure does and not always minus. Some deviations will add 5 or more yards to a missed hit in certain conditions. 

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2011 12:55 PM
    thank all of you who wrote answers. my basic thoughts were confirmed, but doubt lingered after using the new clubs. i now have a very good idea of what i can expect, again thank you.
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2011 12:56 PM

Obviously if you are aiming at the pin and there is no wind or slope, then by dinging, your ball will be nearer to the hole than if you don't. But I still say that a ding doesn't add distance.

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2011 1:47 PM

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOTICED. THIS CLEVELAND IS ***, THE SATIN IS 200% BETTER

• gotstewart
    201 Posts
    Thu, Jul 14 2011 2:00 PM

SPINO1:

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOTICED. THIS CLEVELAND IS ***, THE SATIN IS 200% BETTER

I have to disagree. I didn't ever think I would give up my satin 64.  The cleveland wedge isn't even phased by 20/25 rough, will still back spin in 30/40 and with full bs will stop out of 40/50 (full shots).  Pitching and chipping are much more accurate and the flop with full bs will only travel a couple of ft after it lands. Like goldcard, I have a whole page of notes on the cleveland 64 with all the different shots and power %'s used.  It does take some practice, but it's well worth it!

• PAGES
RSS