Forums

Help › Forums

Firefox problems

Wed, Jul 20 2011 12:23 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • laketee
    15 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:06 PM

I like to use Firefox but lately it is shutting down. Anyone else having the same problem? I have tried both Windows and Mac. I am now using Chrome-no problems. Just curious about the Firefox issue.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 7:09 PM

FF isn't an ideal browser for WGT.

Stick with Chrome it will serve you better than FF.

Be sure to clear your flash cache often to maintain consistent meter speeds

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:31 PM

I use FF exclusively and have had no problems. Are your FF shutdowns only within WGT, or is FF giving you problems outside of here?

• PRBBLUFF
    91 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:49 PM

Mine shuts down also using FF.  A message pops up that says im not connected I push retry and it freezes.  Next window pops up saying "an unexpected error occurred". Still playable, but annoying.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 11:08 PM

Something else I noticed. FF has alot background stuff for process. So, if it crashes, chances are main browser crashes but few things remain, so when you reopen it, problems will linger

The best would be to click control alt del and make sure no other FF related processes are running (if there are, kill them) and then restart it.

-wgticon

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 11:24 PM

WGTicon:
    FF has alot background stuff for process.

What exactly do you see associated with FF?

Here is a screenshot of my processes sorted alphabetically - I only have 1 process related to FF and have never closed any via the task manager.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 2:15 AM

VanHalenLover:

WGTicon:
    FF has alot background stuff for process.

What exactly do you see associated with FF?

Here is a screenshot of my processes sorted alphabetically - I only have 1 process related to FF and have never closed any via the task manager.

it looks different for me... usually firefox and then flash. also when firefox crashes, it still remains running as a process because they want to save it in case you want to restart/resume where you were. paired with flash, it doesn't actually load until you fully kill all firefox processes first (flash will be crashing until you do so)

-wgticon

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 6:29 AM

WGTicon:
    Something else I noticed. FF has alot background stuff for process. So, if it crashes, chances are main browser crashes but few things remain, so when you reopen it, problems will linger

Icon, are you referring to the plugin container for FF?

I've often noticed multiple instances of this process while using FF, even with only the game client open.  Because the plugin-container is using pretty much all the CPU time for FF when in the game client it must be the Flash process.  When I see the extra processes, I kill 'em with no side effects.

VanHalenLover:
    I use FF exclusively and have had no problems.

I was very surprised to read this Mark.  You were a big proponent of Comodo Dragon.  Have you given up on Dragon?

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 4:02 PM

andyson:
    You were a big proponent of Comodo Dragon.  Have you given up on Dragon?

Not at all, it works just as well and actually handles cookie control with a lot more simplicity that Firefox. Both do an exceptional job, and FF has the added bonus of a very user friendly way of blocking all the ads. Two different ways of accomplishing the same thing. When I golfed daily and was more competitive, it was all Comodo. Now I'm just a recreational WGT'r, and FF handles what I need; golf related or other.

• Dichotomy37
    75 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:05 PM

Do you have any toolbars installed?

At my office they've created so many problems I've outlawed them.

• PAGES
RSS