A constructive approach to the game, plus putting/shot tips

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 11 2011 7:24 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Dianne81
    773 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2011 7:57 PM

Yoda79:

Wow Dianne!! What an impressive post!! So very refreshing to come on here and read someone just wanting to give back to the players here in a positive way!! My hats off to you and your efforts. I will be keeping an eye out for your posts and look forward to the next one!!

Master Yoda

Thanks, most of what Im posting is just regurgitating what I've read in these forums  when I was new and struggling. I know the frustration of leaving first attempt still in bunker, and then second shot, determined to get out, sending it over the green to rough on other side. So many people helped me along the way, and now that I've got a decent grasp of the game, I want to pay it forward and do my part to  help others

Forum posts tend to fall into very distinct categories. A few are those who fuss about everything, ignoring others trying to help. They are neither productive, or encouraging.

My favorite posts are one  like Bootsie (def full glass) does, encouraging everyone to do their best. I learn so much from other who post questions for help, then  wgticon and the vast majority of those posting in the forums jump right in to assist. I get a lot of questions I never thought to have asked, answered  in here ! :)

I'd love to see the forums free of belligerent posts ( those post with seemingly only purpose is to hurt others so prevalent in all online forum venues)   and while that may never come to pass, by helping  each other out, everyone will benefit.

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:00 PM

Thankyou very much for your effort. 

mana

• Bootsnbra
    2,322 Posts
    Fri, Jul 22 2011 9:31 PM

Oh Dianne you made me cry which I believe you did knowing I don't want to see what I am hitting lately when I tend to whack the wrong thing with my balls ( sorry to the people over on hole 9 at Kiawah didn't mean for my ball to come over from Bethspage lol )

On the serious side.... Howard Cosell's words "the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of competition " stand so true in the playing of the Virtual Open Championships at Royal St George's.

Competitors faced with tough conditions of Winds and Green Speeds in Round 1 sent the message early on that the victorious winner of this tournament would indeed have to display a high degree of skill ( not to mention a bit of old fashioned luck.)

As players completed out Round 1 it was apparent the programmers had done their jobs quite well in assembling numerous diverse conditions that had not been faced in prior tournaments. Players were  challenged not only with their skills but the very equipment they were using. ( Well done programmers! ) You successfully created a tournament where nothing came easy at all and was aggravating. That is a sign of successful programming when everyone coming out wants to wrap their little fingers around the programmer's necks and squeeze lol. 

Now here we are in Round 2. The conditions lighter but still tough and because players competed in such tough conditions in Round 1 the Open will now literally need to see the final player post score before it can be determined who will actually Win. That's just pure excitement!! 

In the face of victory and defeat we saw players helping players with tips, we saw those that felt defeated quickly met with someone who knew just how they felt, we saw fans emerge and declare at the top of their little voices no matter what you score I think you are amazing, we saw ........... Goodwill and the highest form of Sportsmanship we could ask to view displayed. What glorious winners you all are for competing in that fashion! 

The ultimate victory in competition is derived from the inner satisfaction of knowing that you have done your best. There was not one player who completed out the tournament that I did not see when they came out saying " Wow, I did my best , I wish I could of done better" That is victory at it's sweetest knowing you gave it all.

And me ............. I was just lucky enough to watch all of you and I made some pretty beautiful friends along the way such as you Dianne and I am truly blessed for it. So yes even the spectators won.......and I love that you posted this post helping others. It's just another form of goodwill and now people can clearly see why I call you the Grace Kelly of Golf. 

Hugssssss,

~Bootsie~

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2011 7:24 PM

Dianne81:

I went back and edited my post and added all the putting scales . If i missed any, let me know and Ill add it. For 300ft scale, just double the distance traveled of 150 scale, but hopefully, those putts will be rare.  Then did it for each of the various  greenspeeds.  There are minor variations, but this will get someone new in the ballpark.   I usually just figure in my head, but having it on paper would even be quicker for me to use. 

To answer your  keen observation on my example, I would putt 13.5 ft but use the graph for tournament greens, which would be about 35 % of the scale.

?action=view¤t=allputterscales.jpg

Great chart Dianne,  The wgt community is lucky to have a person who's willing to put so much effort into helping other members.   A rare quality these days.

• PAGES
RSS