Forums

Help › Forums

What is common etiquette for conceding puts?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 8 2011 8:26 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 6:41 AM

When you play often, know the players, or the course... you generally know which one to concede or not.. there are greens that are easy, others are really hard. Some at Oakmont or Kiawah are a nightmare. Some people just concede a 4 footer because they know their 3 footer can be a nightmare in their position. The generally accepted distance is 2 ft. I putt fairly well according to my stats, but I have missed 2-3 footers. In some cases I haven't really thought I was gonna miss them from so close and I just shot without much thinking, others I have used the wrong scale(generally use a longer scale for short putts) and hit it 2 hard or 2 soft. Sometimes you concede a 4 footer and they stuff you with a 1-2 ft putt. I have made putts from 30-40 ft with lots of break and missed the next from 4-5 which seemed easier. Missing a putt can be the result of miscalculation, meter, or wrong information from the grid(dots moving in one direction and putt going straight or the other)*, or a bad reading.I generally concede 2 footers as a courtesy, no matter what...

*I have had those

• D51nn3tt
    73 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 6:41 AM

Also some people use it as part of their strategy to concede short putts early in the round (even as much as a 4ft putt) then stop giving them altogether when the match gets down near the end. So I agree you should have some kind of understanding on the 1st tee but always remember that when its to win a hole or even more the Match all rules go out the window. 

• D51nn3tt
    73 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 6:45 AM

anomahaguy:

personally, depends. i believe if it's to win a match or hole, you have to earn it regardless of distance.. of course unless they have  something like 3 strokes from 2-3 feet., then just end the misery. 

ya what he said

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:09 AM

To concede is simply a tool at your disposal during match play. It can be utilized for strategic reasons, or as a courtesy among friends, or for no particular reason at all. Too many people become offended and concerned about whats right or wrong and feel the need to establish rules regarding this option. Its your choice at any given moment during a match weather you will, or wont concede a putt.  It should never be thought of as anything more than that...its nothing personal.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:05 AM

Ill coneed a put, maybe I wont. keeps people on their toes. when playing with friends its usually 2 foot, but if you need that 2 footer to win the hole or match you WILL be putting.

AS with 'strangers' i usually ask at the beginning, but remember sometimes you just have to keep people on their toes 

• 3puttsSuk
    361 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2011 2:03 PM

D51nn3tt:
    Also some people use it as part of their strategy to concede short putts early in the round (even as much as a 4ft putt) then stop giving them altogether when the match gets down near the end.

It's always tougher later on if you haven't  had the chance to sink a few early.  Big part of Match Play.

• Jazz8520
    6 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2011 5:37 PM

Thank you all for your replies.  They were insightgul and very much appreciated. 

Good Luck 

• Allen63
    364 Posts
    Tue, Nov 8 2011 8:26 AM

A conceded putt is like a gratuity at an eatery. There IS an expectation, but sometimes falsely. There is absolutely no obligation to concede a putt, but here are my own personal guidelines (with the understanding all relevant putts are for a halve or to win the hole):

1. Just about anything outside 3ft is a putt...gotta see it drop.

2. depends on the course and even the hole. It helps to know where you're playing intimately.

3. If you're being a pr1ck, don't expect anything.

That's about it for me.

• PAGES
RSS