Forums

Help › Forums

IT IS STILL JUST A GAME

Sun, Aug 28 2022 1:41 PM (30 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,468 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2022 6:57 PM

There was a time when the forums had life.

Not arguments, tempers, sadness and strife.

Real people, real friends,

bonds were made, and there were sad ends.

Many characters, Yancy, Lizzie and Yankee Jim,

Andyson, DivatDown and bean counter, you remember him?

Aliens roamed the fairway, and hid in the grass,

there was no censor, and you could say ass.

It has been a long time, and things have changed,

Some friends are lost and some estranged.

New friends can be made, and fun to be had,

Less arguing, more laughter, and it won’t be so bad.

Once again, the threads can be fun.

It is not impossible and can easily be done.

Forget the madness, and bad world news,

Escape to the threads, make it fun if you choose.

In the end, we are all the same,

It’s important to remember, it is just a game.

• SamSpayed
    5,001 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2022 7:22 PM

Great thoughts, Steff.  Very imaginative 😊

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2022 8:16 PM

And great rhymes, too. :)

• garyk49
    2,329 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2022 9:26 PM

Well said Steph. Names bring back memories, some actually were before your time, such as Lizzie, Andyson and Strange Magic(bean counter), and some others that have not been forgotten, such as Faterson, and many others, to have seen the posts in real time.  But you have again livened up the forums again, well done.

• craigswan
    31,559 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2022 3:21 AM

If i may .

Take time and effort to educate yourself. Humour is a skill .

Social anxiety is a very common disorder in today’s society..

Overthinking can be such a headache, especially if it happens to you frequently. .

Stress can highly affect your overall mood too. .

but

Laughter can trigger the production of “happy” hormones .

Don’t put pressure on yourself and your creativity. Once you stop forcing it, it will naturally come to you..

The only thing stopping you from having a good time here  is yourself. .

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2022 5:04 AM

HamdenPro:
    Less arguing, more laughter, and it won’t be so bad.

Giving away the secrets to a happy life! 

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2022 5:21 AM

Nice poem. Steff. I would go even further than what your title suggests and state that, for many housebound players, this is far more than just a game. It quickly becomes their defacto social life and a way to stay in touch with people.

ct

• craigswan
    31,559 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2022 6:53 AM

Another problem here are the grumpy old men and the bullies .

You know who you are .

Henry Kawa has been mocked and abused on here time and time again by the same old trolls for what .

Trying to wind people up .

No wonder he is loathe to turn up ..

Pop Tv Pat GIF by One Day At A Time

• craigswan
    31,559 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2022 7:06 AM

Steffi gave me some sound advice a while back .

Well - When she was talking to me that is .

Don't do politics or knock america .

Good council that was so i stopped . Well almost .

Election 2020 Reaction GIF by Joe Biden

• HamdenPro
    2,468 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2022 8:11 AM

craigswan:

Steffi gave me some sound advice a while back .

Well - When she was talking to me that is .

Don't do politics or knock america .

Good council that was so i stopped . Well almost .

LOL.

In the spirit, giving rise to my reasoning, in starting this thread, until you do something else that totally pisses me off (joking), I will talk to you.

We will work on the sexism, homophobia and other stuff later...baby steps.

Although I was not part of a lot of marvelous things that occurred in these threads, and did not get to know some of those people mentioned in my rhyme/poem, I read many of the older threads, some I was directed to by those who were participating at the time, it was easy to see how much fun was had, the strong bonds made as well as friendships lost due to death and, sadly, arguments.

From time, to time, I have tried to "liven" things up. I kid myself in thinking that I do this for everyone else when, sometimes, I do it for me. I want that kind of fun. I envy those that lived through those times. To see how the forums change, like the ebb and flow of the tides, from brotherhood/sisterhood to vitriol (Craig, you can look up the definition) post, arguments, attacks, to apologies, regrets, new bonds formed, it is sad.

Call me naive, I do not believe it has to be this way. I am first to admit, I have regressed at times, a defensive compulsion to respond to something I do not like, in a negative way, rather than turn the other cheek. I vow to do my best to stop. If there is something I do not like, I am going to try my best to simply ignore it. I will open my "word" program, type a super mean reply, and delete it. It is very cathartic that way, without throwing gas on the flames. Impossible? No. If PureGro1 can go 24 hours, without posting a meme (which happened once) I should be able to refrain from being mean.

Yes, there are those that will always be grumpy, mean and nasty, however, there are so many more that are kind, generous, witty and enjoyable to converse with.

I started this thread because there seems to be an uptick on aggressive behavior in the threads. It has gotten to the point where I hear too many great people say they are done with the threads, they should be closed, etc..  At times, the way they can get, I cannot disagree. It does not have to be this way.

In my most humble opinion, I think if everyone just took a pause, before posting replies, and stopped taking everything so personal, presuming that supposed attacks are merely misunderstandings, or messages lost in translation, things can, and will, get better.

I think it is time for a "reset" and let bygones be bygones, like the virtual handshakes that I have seen recently. Life is too short, things in the world are happening too fast and, in the end, I do not want to have any more regrets about something I did, or said, to make someone upset, when, after all, it is a game.

P.S. Yes, Colin, I know that there are many that are homebound, or alone and WGT is a main source of social media and communication with friends, but it is a game. The relationships and bonds formed, and these threads, just makes it that much better to enjoy. Like I said in a thread a year, or so ago, it is what makes it, IMO, the greatest game ever played.

RSS