Help › Forums

JUST TURNED TM HELP!!!!!

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 22 2011 4:40 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 2:52 PM

I am having an awful time on the greens, I have a Daytona putter & more often than not my weight is fine, where I'm having trouble is figuring the break. I have always been a cut & slice putter but..... it does not seem to be working now. Do I need to upgrade my putter, change my style of putting or just dive in and keep working on it.  

Any advise gladly excepted;

Terry

**  MERRY CHRISTMAS  & HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL

• Romesco
    51 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:54 PM

Pretty much all you have to do is Practice, Practice, Practice. When you get to Tournament greens, speed becomes a much larger factor of your putts. From experience you want to use approx. 80% of the length on a flat green. After a while you will get used to it, and start sinking all of the putts that you used to. Best of luck!

-Romesco

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 11:23 PM

The Rossa is fine for Tour Masters. It's just a case of practicing I'm afraid.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2011 4:58 AM

Hewsey:
    where I'm having trouble is figuring the break.

The green speed is faster for TM's, the ball will react differently due to the faster green speed so it will just take time to adjust, once you do the putts will start dropping again.

Congrats on making TM.  Just remember that if you play with any Legends, the tourney green speeds is slightly faster on Legend greens.

GL and happy hitting

Hp 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2011 4:59 AM

Hewsey:
    I am having an awful time on the greens

I suspect most of your putts break in front of the hole and you miss on the down side.This is typical when you move to faster greens. Practice, like the previous posters have pointed out, is the fix. The problem there is how to practice.

First off, you need to realize that on the faster greens, because you have to hit slower, the break has more time to affect the putt and it breaks bigger. TM greens are about 30% faster than Master greens.

Start trying to miss on the high side of the break. That is to say, aim more for the break than you think you should and try to get it to miss on the high side. Once you figure out how to get this to happen it becomes a matter of tuning in the aim. Missing the ding on the high side of the break will always get you better results whereas a miss on the low side will always miss. Speed is the key. Get the right speed and the putts will drop. 90% of lipouts are because the putt is too fast.  GL

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2011 5:04 AM

YankeeJim:

TM greens are about 30% faster than Master greens.

No they're not. Masters use Very Fast greens.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2011 5:06 AM

They most definitely are.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2011 6:36 AM

YankeeJim:
    TM greens are about 30% faster than Master greens.

How do you figure Jim?

According to this post by WGT TM greens are only 10% faster than Master greens.

Tier          Green Speed Stimpmetered

Hack               7.9

Amateur         7.9

Pro                  9.0

Tour Pro         10.0

Master            10.0

Tour Master    11.0

Legend            12.0

As you know, balls roll off the Stimpmeter always at the same speed, so a ball that rolls off a Stimpmeter and goes 10 feet on a Master's green will roll 11 feet on a TM green.  Or 10% further on a TM green than on a Master's green.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2011 7:08 AM

It comes from actually playing with Masters and TMs. As a Legend when you run into them the first thing they need to know is they're playing on faster greens. Most TMs have said that 25-30% difference is what they started out with in adjusting. The difference between Master greens and TM greens is a big jump as compared to the jump from TM to Legend. 30% gets TMs in the right church. How they adjust from there is their preference. 

• PAGES
RSS