Help › Forums

Chipping accurately

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 28 2011 5:11 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TheHuffer
    5 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2011 3:44 PM

I've read the tutorials on chipping, etc., but did not see any way to read the green from off the green.  I know you can see if the pin is above or below, and by how many inches, but how can you tell how the ball is going to roll left or right?

BTW - Chipping if sooooooo difficult for me.  Even if you swing VERY close to the ping mark, you usually mis-hit the ball quite badly.  Any suggestions?

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2011 9:43 PM

Could be mistaken, but I suspect that you are not using the shot menu.... in the lower left hand corner of the play screen, where the clubs are. When you are chipping or pitching there is a grid like when you are putting. 

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2011 10:12 PM

The grid will only appear when you click on the aim marker.  Switch to reverse view, the arrow bottom right or hitting the space bar will do it too.  Then click on the aim marker and you'll see the grid.

I only chip from the fringe, any further off and I pitch.  Highest lofted club possible with full b/s for a pitch, about 3/4 for a chip.  I'm sure others have different methods but that works pretty well for me.

In theory hitting the ding is the same as any other shot but I guess you're tending to click late. This may be because you aren't using a full power shot so the bar gets to the ding line quicker than usual.  It isn't moving any faster, just doesn't have as far to go.

A good short game can save you several shots per round, keep at it and it'll come.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Dec 24 2011 10:56 PM

Experiment with the different wedge shots. (flop, chip, punch etc)  I'd suggest the 9th at St Andrews as it's pretty flat. Try with and without backspin too.

• TheHuffer
    5 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 6:07 AM

I'd love to experiment!  How do you do that - practice on a particular hole from a particular location.  (I thought that should be possible, but could not find a way to do it).  what I really need is a "do-over" or "Mulligan" button !!

Many thanks to all of you who reply and offer help !!!   Merry Christmas.

• TheHuffer
    5 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 9:30 AM

Grid - now I've got it!

Ding - I'm actually pretty good at this - but thanks.

Might not be the right place to ask, but you seem so knowledgeable . . . I know when putting with my starter set, my choices are 6', 12', 18', 24', and 30'.   But is there any gradation/variability of swing strength INSIDE 6' - like for little tap ins, etc.  Seems there is, but I can't quite get what's happening.  Can I hit 1, 2, 3, 4 ft or so?  And how to be sure 1 ft vs. 4 ft.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 11:50 AM

I'm astounded nobody pointed this out. Switch to your putter and use the reverse view. I do it from all over, including long iron shots into greens where you need to know the behavior of the roll after landing.

On your chipping situation, get a couple of decent wedges like the Satins. They're cheap, easy to learn and will pay you instant dividends. Then you'll be able to chip decently, especially if you look at the chip through the reverse putting view. Learn the pitch shot, while you're at it.  ;-)

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 12:30 PM

YankeeJim:

I'm astounded nobody pointed this out. Switch to your putter and use the reverse view. I do it from all over, including long iron shots into greens where you need to know the behavior of the roll after landing.

On your chipping situation, get a couple of decent wedges like the Satins. They're cheap, easy to learn and will pay you instant dividends. Then you'll be able to chip decently, especially if you look at the chip through the reverse putting view. Learn the pitch shot, while you're at it.  ;-)

And learn the flop shot as well. Because the chip shot is not always your best option. 

• Reaytj
    114 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 2:01 PM

Please do experiment with all the shots mentioned. Then, go on to the shot that will get you close to the pin in almost from any situation. That is the full shot.

Now, arm yourself with a decent wedge such as the level 39 (rated 50 yards) or the 2 clevelands rated for 60 yards and you are off to a great start. Now, combine that with any top rated ball with at least 2 and 1/2 dots of spin, then your weapon of attack is complete.

Do a stroke play, practice round at St Andrews, tee off & get close to the green. From there start your experiment with the different distances your wedge will take you using 1/4, 1/2, 2/3 , 3/4 power and full backspin on each shot. Take mental notes of your results of each shot. And do this from the fairway, or 20/25, 20/30, 30/40, 40/50 lies. Continue the experiment on all 18 holes. Then take your results to our other stroke play courses, play 18 holes & continue the experiment (results from each course can vary a bit).

After a quality amount of time & practice using this criteria and playing & practicing on all our available stroke courses, and understanding the different reactions that each course presents,  You will be ready for your short game skills to excel and get you that critical bird or par save.

A PS to the info above....putts on the green from say 25 to 75 feet can get you extremely close to the flag using your same wedge weapon ( again using a FULL shot with max backspin) instead of your putter, but there again.........practice, and more practice is the KEY word to everything. Put a hold on your ranked games until your short game techniques have been understood from your practice sessions..

Good luck...

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 3:00 PM

TheHuffer:

I'd love to experiment!  How do you do that - practice on a particular hole from a particular location.  (I thought that should be possible, but could not find a way to do it).  what I really need is a "do-over" or "Mulligan" button !!

Many thanks to all of you who reply and offer help !!!   Merry Christmas.

If you go to the top of the page where the Forum button is you will see 'wgt  Community'.

Click on this and you will see a menu with 'course's' on it. click, and you can choose any hole on any course. You have a maximum of 10 strokes before you have to move on.

Enjoy and happy practicing.

MEL1950

• PAGES
RSS