Forums

Help › Forums

HELP! stuck in a rut.....

Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:40 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:42 PM

I have been missing 90% of my putts inside 6 ft  last few days.   No matter how much break.

Haved tried the ding and hit it thru the break ( no luck) and miss ding to aim...( no luck)  what am I DOING?!!?!?!?!!?  

Have tried all 3 ghost spiders with no luck......Guess I'll give the L92 ghost another try.

Guess I am just looking for words of wisdom on those shorts putts,  to aim or not to aim ( and jam it in)  that is my question

HP

• Dianne81
    773 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:55 PM

HI Hp

On 3.5 ft putts and less, moderate to big breakers, I won't take it outside of the cup. I will put marker on edge of cup and hit it  double the power and ram it in.   Now for the ones 3.5 ft - 6ft, I will hit with extra power and less break , knowing if miss could be staring at a 5ft return putt.  Don't be afraid of longish return putts.  You will sink so many more inside of 6ft that you won't worry about the very rare 3putt.

Dianne

btw, use whatever putter you can DING most consistently. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 4:31 PM

It's that missing to aim thing you do, Hp. It's too inconsistent to rely on and IMO it's screwing you up. As much as you like the sixes that 92 will reward you if you commit to it. I remember when you got it you were a happy camper. You just didn't stay with it long enough to appreciate it before you went back. The more you use that 92, the more comfortable it gets. You can putt, I've seen it. Try committing to the 92 for a good period of time. 

Great tip on the aim inside the cup, Dianne. I'm just figuring out how to blast through breaks and that's a big help.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 7:19 PM

thx guys.

YJ,    I got the 92 loaded up right now.......yes,  i'll admit that I didn't use it long enough before reverting back to my comfort blanket 6's.

Back to the drawing board 

****EDIT

Just finished playing 3 or 4 rounds with the L92 big boy putter and I must say,  I didn't do any worse.

The thing I notice the most with it, is when you ding the putt, you really find out how much off you are on the read of the putt.  Something I always compensated for by missing the ding against the break.  I am sure after a while it will help with reading the dots of break more accurately resulting in no more "rut" lol.   Something I would have found out for sure if I just had stuck with it in the first darn place.   Lesson learned.    Perhaps it's time to sell back the (as YJ would put it)  junior ghost's, that will force me to learn the L92.

Catch ya on the course

• Lastpost
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:25 PM

Just thought I'd let you know, that you're not alone in this.  After feeling very comfortable with my putting game and surprising myself at times, it seems I cant sink anything in the medium to short range all of a sudden. It started with missing putts either side by an inch and evolved into chronic lip-outs. Now im feeling intimidated by 8-12 footers LOL.  Im trying hard to turn this around because im sure its a head thing...fingers crossed.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 4:51 AM

Lastpost:
    Now im feeling intimidated by 8-12 footers LOL.  Im trying hard to turn this around because im sure its a head thing

Whew,   it helps to know its not only me lol.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:11 AM

Since dropping my avg below 63 on 12/30/11, I have not been able to make even the easiest birdie putts. Very strange things going on, putts are stopping .02 short again and breaking for no reason when they get to within a foot of the hole. Have tried all the suggestions, nothing is working right now.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:10 AM

Hey Ren,   I got the short .02's fixed, it's the breaks that are killing me.grrrrrrrrrrr.

For the stopping short  I just started adding more speed ( I know .....a bit obvious)  but seriously, I was getting too exact with my putt distances.   Figured if I was going to leave myself a short putt due to a miss it sure as heck better be on the other side of the hole lol.

Just can't read the dots like I used to.  It's been suggested to just "close my eyes" maybe I need to touch the screen and see if the dots are like a brail system or somethin lmao

BTW .....1,000th post Renniw.....I'll be there shortly,  just trying to catch up to YJ ;-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:18 AM

hpurey:
    Just can't read the dots like I used to.

I know we talked about it last night, H, but for those interested, BolloxinBruges has a 15 minute video on youtube of him shooting-8 at CCC in a RG.  It's a fast watch as he doesn't waste any time playing but you can get a serious dose of "this is how to aim putts" by watching it. It will either confirm you're doing it right, show you you're not or fine tune what you already do. Nary a missed putt in the round (except for his donation to the meter god on an eagle try) and a very good lesson.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:38 AM

Hey hp, I didn't notice the 1000, guess I talk too much.

• PAGES
RSS