To Ding or not to Ding? that is the question

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:58 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Gobarg
    41 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 5:43 PM

Hi all

I haven't been playing long but I have been playing a lot :)

I started playing this game trying to hit the ding every time after setting the pointer to where I wanted to hit.

I made a couple of tiers before I tried something else.  I use the swing meter to achieve the same results.  Particularly with putting.  I don't putt from reverse, I just try and read the greens from normal view and when I put I stop the meter wjere I think the green will roll left or right. 

Since switching to this tecnique I have improved out os sight.  Particularly putting.  There are some putts and shots that I need to move the pointer a bit as the swing meter won't account for the full movement of the ball but all in all I am finding that this tecnique works amazingly well.

It has the twofold benefit of not having to worry overmuch about hitting that ding and I feel I have much more control over my game.

What I would like to know though is this technique common and I have just hit upon it myself or is it uncommon among the better players?

thoughts?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 1:17 AM

Hi

There is no question, ding ding ding. Whoever says otherwise is entitled to their own opinion, but the game is designed for ding, so they are not playing the best possible way. That's fine, of course, but it's still a fact :)

-wgticon

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 1:31 AM

Lots of players use the aim to miss technique, it works for some.

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 1:50 AM

I don't ding and I got to Master level so I guess it is what suits you best.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 2:09 AM

I would only Ding a putt if it's straight. I click either side of ding on the greens. I would also move the aimer only if it's an extreme roll and it works for me.

Just one thing though...  I always look at the reverse view to see what the dots are doing, this would gives me a better view because they can change direction, go slower or faster than normal view. Remembering to change back to normal view before I putt.

Cheers

Roger

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 2:22 AM

I used to play to ding when I first started for all shots.  Then someone, a decent player himself, told me to try missing the ding for putting... and I haven't looked back since.  Like you say, on some putts you have to move the aimer some to actually account for the amount of break, but generally I don't move it if I can help it.

I do agree with Icon that the game is designed to make you want to ding, but if you miss the ding by a slightest fraction you usually miss the putt.  Conversely, I have found that missing the ding on purpose seems to be more forgiving.  Maybe that's just me though, maybe I'm wrong with my calculation (guesswork!) for the swing in the break, and in this case two wrongs make a right.  But it works well for me so I'm sticking with it.

I have also changed to using a longer putting meter (90ft or 150ft) whenever possible because the shorter you need to pull it back, the less time it has to accelerate through the swing and so you have more chance of clicking when you want to.

With regards to hitting/missing the ding on other shots, I play to ding, except for a high crosswind off a tee with a driver, in which case I will try (emphasis on the word try!) to miss the ding to compensate for the crosswind.  Unfortunately I find the meter so fast that I can't do this with any consistency.  I know other players who say they use the 80/20 rule; move the aimer 80% of the way, then miss the ding on the correct side for the other 20%.  Again, I have absolutely no chance of achieving this, so I can only attempt to ding each time.

• dickdarstardly
    32 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 5:09 AM

I don't understand missing the ding on anything other then putts. Hitting the ding doesn't give consistent results and missing is even worse. Plus you'll lose distance but never the same amount when missing the ding in the same place.

• Gobarg
    41 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2012 1:20 PM

I have to say that I use this technique mainly on putting and it seems to work for me.

Hitting drivers and irons is a different matter particularly the faster swing meters.  In this case I set the pointer to compensate for most of the change in direction and try to be somewhere near the ding still trying to stop it either left or right by a fraction in the direction of the wind.

As I said though it is putting that I have found the best results.

I am interested to know whether you do lose distance by not hitting the ding.  Is there a bonus for actually hitting the ding other than accuracy?

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:38 AM

You should read my blog post on my profile about 'playing feel'.

First, in answer to this question:

Gobarg:
    I am interested to know whether you do lose distance by not hitting the ding.  Is there a bonus for actually hitting the ding other than accuracy?

It depends.  If you miss the ding with the wind (strong right-left and you click left of ding), you can actually increase your distance, by aiming farther outside and riding the wind with your curve.  However, if you use the curve to straighten out the wind, fighting it, you will lose distance.

I am the guy Icon is talking about, or one of them., anyway.  I am a feel player.

Playing feel:

The only time I regularly move my aiming cursor is drives.  The reason for that is what I mentioned above.  Straightening the wind costs length.  On my drives I would rather get as much distance as I can, so I will move my aim to compensate for the wind, even to the point, again mentioned above, of playing outside the wind and curving with it to gain distance.  But usually on my drive, I aim and ding (or try to).  Other rare occasions I will move my aim, but those are generally once or twice a round.  An example would be a long 3 wood at a par 5, where the hole is 250 but my cursor only sets at 235, I will move the target to the hole.  And very rarely, a putt that breaks more than I can curve, I'll move it.

Otherwise, I play curves and spins on approaches, putts, shots from around the green (I hesitate to use the word 'chips', since I use nothing but full shot).  Here's the thing... Icon is right when he says that playing that way is inconsistent.  It is inconsistent with the specs.  BUT, it is consistently inconsistent.  That is to say, it will mess up the same way with the same shot.  It's hard to explain, but once you get used to the variances in performance over those listed, it pretty easy.  For example, I know that fighting a 10 MPH cross on a 140y approach is going to cost me about 4y over aim and ding, so I play an extra 4y.  A 12 yard putt on a tournament green with 0 elevation but an extreme break will still take nearly 12' of power to curve through the break and reach the hole.  But once you get used to the variances, for me it is as easy or easier and as effective or more effective than aim and ding.  And, again for me, I find I am able to click on the meter where I feel the curve is better than I am able to hit the ding, which is why I refer to it as playing feel.  I make a higher % of putts that have a slight to medium curve than relative putts that are dead straight dings.

I wouldn't recommend playing feel, but unlike Icon, I wouldn't advocate against it, either.  I suggest you play the way you feel comfortable, and you find most effective for you.  Experiment, and don't be afraid to change styles.  When I first started, I tried to play all dings, and struggled the first day or so.  Then I started playing all curves, and shot my first below par round.  But I plateaued with that as well, and switched to aimed drives and curves otherwise.  I started out playing chips, pitches, flops, etc and found that I was most effective with just full shot.  I couldn't do that in real life, but the game has predictable, repeatable results.

As my... qualifications to show that playing off-ding can work as well.  I am a Legend with a 61.5 avg, down from 65 when I tiered (and 63 a few weeks ago).  I have shot -9 for 9 and -14 for 18, and rarely shoot 30 (or 60) or above these days.

And a confession... I became a feel player because I flat suck at hitting the ding.  I'm not a young man and my reaction times aren't what they were.  On drives, missing by a couple pixels isn't usually too bad, but on approaches it can mean 10-20' of putt and on putts it just means you missed.  I would estimate that, with my putter (slowest of all my meters), if I really, really try, I can hit the ding maybe 40% on 15' putts.  So, since I realized very early on that attempting to be a ding player was a hopeless endeavor, I learned to play by feel.  Hell, I don't even decide where I am going to click before I begin my swing.  I set my distance and begin my swing, and when the meter gets where I feel the break or wind is, I click.

One benefit of playing by feel:  It takes a lot less time.  While you guys are fiddling with the aimer to get it just right, I look at the wind and hit.  Or I spend a couple seconds looking at the front and back view of the putt then hit.

• CyberTwiXX
    91 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:52 AM

If there were no advantage to hitting the ding then what would the purpose of the ding be? HIT THE DING!!

• PAGES
RSS