Forums

Help › Forums

R11 set v. K15 set v. just Driver & Irons upgrade

Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:15 AM (25 replies)
  • pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:15 PM

Hmm...it really sounds like they're both very similar, aside from the meter speed, in the end.  I can't quite afford the R11 full set just yet (I don't buy credits, I usually go for the vids, surveys and the occasional offer).

Reading through the great review of the K15s (thanks godelescher), it seems that they may be the best choice - The question is whether to buy the set or just the irons and find a longer driver or 3W.  Buying the K15 Iron set leaves me about 1200 for a driver, or just a short wait and just get the full K15s.

Thanks for all the great input.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:47 PM

@pugfan,

If you can hold out and keep leveling-up, you can purchase the level 48+ Raptures with the slower meter you like and use the level 33+ Callaway golf ball to stop shots close. I used the Rapture irons from a Pro to the Legend tier, and WGTicon used them very effectively in the Master tier as well.

Level 47+ Rapture driver - 255 yards - 1185 Cr

Level 47+ 3 wood - 230 yards - 385 Cr

Level 48+ Rapture irons - 200 yard 3 iron - 1685 Cr

Level 48+ Rapture full set - Driver, 3 wood, Hybrid, irons - 3295

Good luck in any decision you make pugfan.

• Subzero1963
    111 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:47 PM

I played the K15's and the R11's the K15's play much better than the dots suggest.  They are forgiving and very accurate once you learn them, but they stop much better than the R11's.

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:48 PM

b0geybuster:
    I had only suggested two wedges as he is a pro but the need for a 3rd will definetely be required later.

I misinterpreted what you were saying. My bad.

In that case, I wholeheartedly agree.

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:57 PM

pUGfANmn:
    The question is whether to buy the set or just the irons and find a longer driver or 3W.  Buying the K15 Iron set leaves me about 1200 for a driver, or just a short wait and just get the full K15s.

The level 58 G20 driver is probably best suited to the K15s. The K15 driver is a good driver and I used it successfully through Master and half of Tour Master, but I don't recommend it at those tiers. By then, you'll be leveled up enough to get the G20.

At 240 yards, you're not going to do a lot better anytime soon. It's somewhat high flying, but it's accurate and easy to hit. You won't impress anyone with your monster drives, but you'll be hitting from the fairway all day.

If you learn when and where (tail wind, downhill), and how much backspin to use from the tee, you can add another 10-15 yards on top of a centerball drive.

The achilles heel for the driver is it's loft when fighting a headwind. The ball acts like a kid with ADHD going to the store. It starts well, then just wanders off in the wrong direction.

I would buy the set and move up to a new driver later when you're not trying to learn 25 new things all at once. The K15 has the same meter speed as the rest of the set, and errant drives are less of a concern.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 5:19 PM

godelescher:

I would buy the set and move up to a new driver later when you're not trying to learn 25 new things all at once. The K15 has the same meter speed as the rest of the set, and errant drives are less of a concern.

Just want to make sure that by "set" you're suggesting the FULL set and not just the irons...

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 5:29 PM

Yeah, I meant full set with the driver 3w and hybrid.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 6:11 PM

Excellent - now just to get to level 38 and pick up the bit of credits I need.

Thanks all for the guidance!

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:31 AM

Now I'm starting to re-think buying now - I just shot my best round so far in my "career" at Kiawah...but, I think it is the right time so that I can be prepared for the higher levels and longer holes with some practice rounds with the new set...

• TheRinger1987
    42 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:54 AM

Just bought the K15's. Will keep you updated on how it goes, i think i will get the taylormade wedges since its seems like they are the best for the buck. No more spending for the moment, need to win some credits now ;)

RSS