Forums

Help › Forums

R11 set v. K15 set v. just Driver & Irons upgrade

Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:15 AM (25 replies)
  • pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 9:29 PM

I picked my set of the K15s today and I can definitely see a difference.  I shot -5 on a practice round on St. Andrews (low winds, though) and am consistently getting closer to the hole during a few regular rounds I've played today.  Already my average has dropped from 73.25 down to 72.5.

Now if I can just get my head around putting better - I have the Spider, but just realized it's the level 19 Spider and not the 35+ Ghost.  With the Spider, I'm really struggling to hit the ding and am definitely losing shots all over the place with how much closer I'm getting.

Oh - and I think I've used the hybrid twice playing 45 holes today - I'm pretty sure I'll get a 50-55 yd wedge next...after I upgrade the putter.

• sardono
    114 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:07 PM

pUGfANmn:

Oh - and I think I've used the hybrid twice playing 45 holes today - I'm pretty sure I'll get a 50-55 yd wedge next...after I upgrade the putter.

If you are still hitting more than 4-5 shots from the green side bunkers, or less than 50yds per 9, then the lvl 39 z-satin 64 degree 50yd wedge would help you more then the putter for now.

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:30 AM

sardono:

If you are still hitting more than 4-5 shots from the green side bunkers, or less than 50yds per 9, then the lvl 39 z-satin 64 degree 50yd wedge would help you more then the putter for now.

I've only played St. Andrews since the upgrade, so it's not that I'm hitting out of bunkers, but was getting within 50 or so yards of the greens pretty easily.  I'm more disappointed that I'm not able to rely on my read on the green when I'm not hitting the ding.  I feel like I'm reading MUCH better, but when I miss, I can't really tell.

• sardono
    114 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:50 AM

pUGfANmn:

I've only played St. Andrews since the upgrade, so it's not that I'm hitting out of bunkers, but was getting within 50 or so yards of the greens pretty easily.  I'm more disappointed that I'm not able to rely on my read on the green when I'm not hitting the ding.  I feel like I'm reading MUCH better, but when I miss, I can't really tell.

Ok you are getting within 50 yards easily, if you could get those shots from 50 yards closer to the pin, would it help you more than a putter.

That is the question, and the deciding factor if the 64 degree wedge or putter is first.

I personally think that the level 39 z-satin 64 degree wedge is the first upgrade that everyone should get as soon as you hit level 39. That and the fact, that you will probably change putters a few more times, the wedge will last you for a very long time.

Its amazing how much easier putting is the closer to the pin you are. Get close enough and you could use a hockey stick with a brick on the end.

• ADYTHEGOLFPRO
    291 Posts
    Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:49 PM

I have to admit I greatly prefer the K15s to the R11s and Raptures. A lot more forgiveness, great stopping power and more accurate too IME, despite the stats provided by WGT.

• SteveKellesteros
    21 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:15 AM

godelescher:
    My advice is buy that extra 10 yards with another driver or 3w, but learn to play the K15s, they're the most underrated irons on WGT.

Thanks for contributing to this forum and my enjoyment of this game. I considered getting the "higher rated" R11 irons, but your post gave me the information I needed to not only go with the K15's, but also to narrow the gaps in my club range from tee to green.

Thanks-

SKell

RSS