Forums

Help › Forums

high winds

Sun, Mar 18 2012 12:32 AM (22 replies)
  • gusser67
    30 Posts
    Fri, Mar 2 2012 4:00 PM

I've been trying to calculate yardage added or taken away in high winds say i have a 160 yd shot with headwinds at 16mph how many yards would i ad and say my wind direction arrowwas pointing at the 1;30 position how many yards would i subtract man i sure would love to hear some feedback

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Fri, Mar 2 2012 6:56 PM

gusser67:

I've been trying to calculate yardage added or taken away in high winds say i have a 160 yd shot with headwinds at 16mph how many yards would i ad and say my wind direction arrowwas pointing at the 1;30 position how many yards would i subtract man i sure would love to hear some feedback

Yeah I hear ya bud. I'm level 90 Legend and still have a fit trying to figure it out more times than not lol. Come on guys and girls.....share your methods...pretty pleaseeeee   :)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Mar 2 2012 9:17 PM

Just add the 2 together to keep it simple... 160+16= 176.  Not perfect but close enough.

Same with a putt... Add or subtract the the up or down arrows.... but be careful with the down arrow though.

-Roger

Edit..  when it come to cross winds, then I have no idea....lol

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Mar 2 2012 10:50 PM

This advice works quite well for 160/170 yds shots, e.g. STA #11. From maths, we should factor in different lengths.

Alas there are oddities. My last eyperience was on RSG, 20 mph wind almost from the back. My opponent shot badly over the green, and I took a 125 yds club (no bs) for 140 yds. Guess where it landed? Precisely at 125 - no wind effect at all though I might have lost my cap! And the Coffins bunker at STA #13: Once you aim at it and hope for a considerable side wind to move the shot away, there will be no more wind (I tried it twice).

I'm sure ev1 can tell loads of those stories, wind effects varying from hole to hole and depending on the direction and the club you take. The best thought I can take to keep my mind sane is "In RL golf, I might have misjudged the wind."

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Mar 3 2012 8:19 AM

gusser67:
    160 yd shot with headwinds at 16mph

Disclaimer:

This is what I do with my clubs. G20 - No spin. Others tell me that in order for this to work, they need to spin some or even fully. Use this as a starting point and tweak it to fit your clubs. Does it work, precisely, all the time? Of course not.

For the above, 172.8 with no spin. Calc Method: Divide distance by 2 = 80. This represents the percentage of the wind in MPH effect in yards.

16 * .8 = 12.8.

160 + 12.8 = 172.8.

gusser67:
    pointing at the 1;30 position

This is trickier. In a quartering wind, the 16 MPH represents the hypotenuse of a right triangle, in this case, one with two equal sides. (Pythagorean Theorem) I never fully calculate this, but use the general idea to get in the ballpark. In this case I did, to the first decimal. 11.3 - representing, in this case, both the cumulative wind effect on distance and yaw.

11.3 * .8 = 9.04.

So it would be a shot at 169 yards and aimed 9 yards right of the target. My normal guesstimate was 11, so i would have been close enough.

Further disclaimer: Lately I've been noticing that at times, the game will either double or halve the wind effect. When I see this, I immediately clear cache. Just a theory, but I think that sometimes the conditions of a previous round, bleed over. I'd probably be smart to clear before every round.

Good Luck. Remember, this is just a decent starting point for your own calculations. 

Heh, with luck, you might end up with one of these. Note the wind and where I had to aim.

Road Hole Eagle

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 10:51 AM

Depends on your clubs but from hack to master I have consistently used the same calculation

168 and 152 in  your examples.

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 1:02 PM

JimbeauC;

As heavy wind always been real prob for me thought I'd just your suggestions a try - WOW  Felt in control for 1st time ever in heavy winds....thank you very much!

But question - in your example with wind from 1:30 you suggested aiming 9 yds right of target....any suggestions on how to tell how far from target 9 yds is?

Thomas

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 2:55 PM

The horizontal top line on the blue aim triangle is 15 yards across, so 9 yards would be 3/5 th away from the right or left point of the triangle depending on which side of the  triangle you would be using.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 3:44 PM

newcastleb:
    how to tell how far from target 9 yds is?

The most exact way is to switch to fore view. (lower right of screen - arrow) and switch shot type to chip. This activates the aiming grid. There is debate about how wide the grid is. I think it's 10 yards wide. 

It kind of disappears in the rough, which is a bit of a problem. In heavy crosswinds, you'll be aiming some strange places. 

Another problem is depending on angle of the camera, the grid can get turned into a diamond. If the hole has a rear view camera, use it. 

Course knowledge is important. Some holes seem to have their yardage marked in error. Beth Page #1 comes to mind. With the formula, you will come up short.

Glad I was able to help. Now go hit 'em close for tap in birds.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 4:01 PM

OOPS,

It seems I misread the original post. It says pointing at 1:30. I read it as wind coming from 1:30. Anyway, in that case the 9 yards would be subtracted and the shot would be aimed 9 yards left.

Hi Ho

RSS