Forums

Help › Forums

Newbie with a couple questions

Sat, Jun 9 2012 5:21 PM (20 replies)
  • SgtScramble
    30 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 1:02 PM

First off, Hi I go by either Sgt or Sarge. Ive been playing this game for a couple days now. I have been following the "WGT Recommends" thing in the middle of the lobby page, and have played some of the closest to the pin games, and a bunch of practice rounds, single and multi-player (about 15 or so). I even watched all the videos and purchased a few credits to get the XP. I rented a Tour starter Driver to see what the meter is like when it speeds up a bit (having some timing issues but finding it still manageable). My questions are as follows:

1. I have been following the WGT Recommends things but the only thing that has changed is my Level, my avg or rank has not changed at all, why is this?

2. What clubs does anybody recommend for a newb. I want to be able to hit further and higher but I don't know if I should wait a while to get used to the free stuff, or should I just upgrade asap and start getting used to something higher. (keep in mind I have roughly 3000 credits)

3. Why can't I join a Tournament?

and 

4. Any secret advice to improve ones game other than the "Putting distance control guide" and the "pitch and chip guide".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sarge

• SgtScramble
    30 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:00 PM

Disregard #1, I hadn't quite got that far in the FAQ's yet at the time of posting this, I figured out I was only playing "practice" rounds, and it requires "ranked" rounds.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:53 PM

SgtScramble:
    First off, Hi I go by either Sgt or Sarge.

Stand in line, Bilko and Doodles will have something to say about that.  LOL

SgtScramble:
    my avg or rank has not changed at all, why is this?

This will happen as you post ranked stroke play rounds. Posted scores are the ones you see on your profile scoring history.

SgtScramble:
    2. What clubs does anybody recommend for a newb.

There's too many choices for one specific recommendation. It's a to-each-his-own thing so you'll need to learn that as you go. 

SgtScramble:
    3. Why can't I join a Tournament?

What are you trying to join?

SgtScramble:
    4. Any secret advice to improve ones game

No secret. Practice, practice and then go practice.  ;-)

• SgtScramble
    30 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 3:14 PM

YankeeJim:

Stand in line, Bilko and Doodles will have something to say about that.  LOL

This will happen as you post ranked stroke play rounds. Posted scores are the ones you see on your profile scoring history.

There's too many choices for one specific recommendation. It's a to-each-his-own thing so you'll need to learn that as you go. 

What are you trying to join?

No secret. Practice, practice and then go practice.  ;-)

Well ok then, Call me Scramble lol.

Thank you for your response (again) YankeeJim, your very helpful.

As far as the stroke play thing goes, I figured that out about 15 mins after posting this, however my posts are being moderated and take a while to show up so its all good. 

On the Club advice, I understand each person is different, so let me modify my question... Would you suggest buying multiple sets of clubs on the way up in difficulty, or is that considered a waste of credits (I only ask because it seems you can level up rather quickly and if I buy a set today at my current level, by end of weeks time I could be high enough to jump up 4 or 5 steps in clubs).

The Tournament thing I figured out too it just took me a minute. It was letting me Sign up for some Tournaments, but not all of them had the sign up button, however I didn't notice at first the popup underneath stating my current Tier is not allowed in the specific Tournament.

One last question that I have thought of since the original post, 

Is there any other good Videos that show you tips other than the ones on the WGT Video Tutorials? I know sometimes the customers will create their own videos, however that's the one thing I have yet to be able to find easily using the Search function in the Forum section.

Thanks again for any help.

Sarge

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 3:43 PM

and when you get done practicing

tear out your hair, after that

go practice some more

like Jim said you need ranked stroke rounds to lower average

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 5:08 PM

SgtScramble:
    2. What clubs does anybody recommend for a newb. I want to be able to hit further and higher but I don't know if I should wait a while to get used to the free stuff, or should I just upgrade asap and start getting used to something higher. (keep in mind I have roughly 3000 credits)

Wait until you're level 29 and then think about getting the R11's

R11 Driver unlocked at L29

R11 3wood at L30 (don't bother with the hybrid, make room for 3 wedges)

R11 Irons at L32

Then satin wedges unlocked at L38/39. I recommend the 93yd, 77yd & 50yd

Ghost spider putter unlocked at L35

This lot will see you through until Level 59 when the G20's are unlocked.

• woodworkerjunkie
    237 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:30 PM

SgtScramble:
    Is there any other good Videos that show you tips other than the ones on the WGT Video Tutorials

You can do a search here on wgt  and find some or go to youtube and type in wgt and you will find several. Some you will learn things, some you wont.

• SgtScramble
    30 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:52 PM

Thanks DAZZA501 for the suggestion, after evaulating the clubs you mentioned and comparing price, the full set of what you laid out would cost 1000 more credits than what i currently have. At the moment I don't really plan on depositing anymore than I already have. I think paying about the price of a normal video game should sufice at this point until i figure out if I can get the hang of it (or if I even like it after a while). 

So on that note, taking into account I don't really want to go much higher than say a cap of 3200, have any suggestions?

• geauxtigers0107
    266 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:55 PM

I did the Raptures as my first set but just hit level 59 so I bought the G20's. Wow. Great clubs. I don't see the need to purchase anything else for a loooooong time. Shot a 59 first round with the new set.

• SteveW65
    4,540 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 12:38 AM

Dazza has it exactly right - R11's then G20's. They will take you through to Legend if that's what you want. Also, use Calloway balls. The biggest 'secret' is to use 3 wedges and learn how to use 'punch', 'chip' and 'flop' shots - it's like having 9 clubs in 3!

Learn how to putt - it's worth watching 'BolloxinBruges' videos - go to his profile and he has links from there - helped fine tune my putting.

Don't thump the screen - it doesn't help and costs about $150/£100 to replace :¬(

Main thing - just have fun, it's only a virtual computer game! :)

RSS