Forums

Help › Forums

Newbie with a couple questions

Sat, Jun 9 2012 5:21 PM (20 replies)
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 12:50 AM

For a newbie, no custom clubs IMO. You'll easily make Pro, advance to the thirties' levels and eventually need a club or two then, see other post.

Enter tournaments, there may be an age issue, and there may be a country issue. Check the indications in your account section and ask WGT directly by mail in case of further trouble.

A secret...

IMO there are a few:

1) Get used to the different forms of shots, punch, pitch, flop, chip. Each of them has its own qualities. The program frequently offers the wrong shot (e.g. chip) which will not advance the ball sufficiently on other surfaces than green & fringe.

2) Try to hit full strokes, not less than 85 %. Below, strokes (except putter strokes) get inconsistent concerning length & direction. Use the punch to get further nominal distances.

3) Think math when putting. Rule of proportion applies by 100 %. Length is dependent on the green speed and elevation. Standard greens have the nominal lengths, the others are longer or shorter in env. 10% steps (3 feet each for the 30' starter putter scale). Elevation adds and substracts to the length linerally, about one feet length per inch elevation dependent on green speed. Use the frational indications by club movement during shot pull-up.

4) Use the (back)spin. It works even with starter equipment, but don't expect too much. More spin is for sale in the pro shop via clubs & balls.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 5:22 AM

SgtScramble:
    . Would you suggest buying multiple sets of clubs on the way up in difficulty, or is that considered a waste of credits

Alosso said it pretty good but I would at least grab a couple of the Satin wedges -the 85 yd and 65 yd versions available at level 14. They're cheap, will last you a long time and will also introduce you to the faster meter speed that comes with better clubs. You can slow it down with balls but it would be good to get used to it now. You will eventually be needing that better set of clubs and the faster meters will come with them. Nothing to be scared of, you pick it up quick .

SgtScramble:
    Is there any other good Videos that show you tips other than the ones on the WGT Video Tutorials?

There are 2 players that have posted videos most definitely worth watching-whatever they put up. Look on Youtube for videos by BolloxinBruges and SunCity. Immediate benefits from watching them.  GL

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 5:41 AM

If it was me, i would first go for a longer driver. The closer you are to the hole, the easier your next shot should be. As has been said already, wait until you advance in levels a bit more. It can be so easy to buy a club, and outdo that club in a short space of time. Wait until you feel the need is there to change what you have. After a driver, i would go for set of irons. I played with a starter putter for a long long time, and it served me well. 

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:13 AM

Hi.  After I joined a read through a lot of threads and looked through the stats of the gear in the Pro Shop and I concluded that the two best buys were:

Irons - Taylor Made Burner Irons (L15+)

Putter - Taylor Made Spider (L19+)

Both are expensive, but they'll last you a LONG while.  I'm L50 now and still use them.

I'd also advise that you play the game on a high spec PC/Laptop if you are able to; if will avoid the jerky meter that many people complain of.

If you want to play match play for credits, look up the stats of whoever wants to play with you.  If they are Pro tier, are Lvl 60+, have great gear, play mainly CTTH and have a stellar match play record, they are almost certainly a bandit multi-accounter.

Cheers

• jwhistler31
    357 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:16 AM

Looks like your getting some good advice in most of the above comments.... my 2 cents worth is get the wedges and maybe a putter.... that is where you will cut the strokes off your game at you level..... as Ynakee Jim said those wedges unlock early and can be used for long time.... accurate wedges reduces putting distance for first putt, thereby increasing odds of 1 or 2 putts..... putting seems to trouble most people the most as they learn WGT

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 9:41 PM

SgtScramble:
    have any suggestions?

Yeah. Completely off the wall.  Forget about clubs for a while. Believe it or not, what you have right now will carry you pretty far. 

Find a good match for Country Club. Personally, I've found the advice and tips gleaned from my CC to be far above what is available in the general forums. (No disrespect, guys -the advice I've seen above is spot on.)

I've wasted a ton of credits in your pursuit, so, my best advice is to push what you have to the max. Wait until that wall hits you before upgrading clubs, and then seek the sagest advice you can. For some, meter speed is paramount. Others think forgiveness outweighs. In the end, it's what works for you. 

GL

Spend wisely. Have fun.

• SgtScramble
    30 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2012 9:49 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am taking it all under advisement. With all the input from here, reading through pages of threads, and having 1 on 1 advice and mentoring from a few of the top Legends on here, I think I've got most of it covered. Now I just need to hit the links and get some rounds under my belt. 

Wish me luck!

Happy Hitting,

Sarge

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sun, Mar 18 2012 4:04 AM

SgtScramble:

Thanks DAZZA501 for the suggestion, after evaulating the clubs you mentioned and comparing price, the full set of what you laid out would cost 1000 more credits than what i currently have. At the moment I don't really plan on depositing anymore than I already have. I think paying about the price of a normal video game should sufice at this point until i figure out if I can get the hang of it (or if I even like it after a while). 

So on that note, taking into account I don't really want to go much higher than say a cap of 3200, have any suggestions?

Then get what you can with what you've got from the list i said. Go for the driver and the irons 1st.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sun, Mar 18 2012 5:11 AM

YankeeJim:

Stand in line, Bilko and Doodles will have something to say about that.  LOL

I do have something to say about that ;-)

\o/ another Sarge. Also, a Sgt who uses grammar in the forums. Hurrah!

A quick tip - try to earn free credits by either completing offers, watching videos or taking surveys. Here is the link. Some people have issues at times with getting their credits or qualifying for a survey, but if you take screenshots and use the "support" button on that page these problems can be fixed easily.

Also, when you get better wedges don't be afraid to use the pitch shot when it's uphill and you have green to roll. Pitch can be the best shot in your bag in some places whereas in others it can be the worst easily. However, due to being used too much in the wrong spot it's become an unfavoured choice. 

Also, I agree with Dazza's post above. Get the low level R11 driver first, then the low level R11 irons. However, this will go a couple of hundred credits over your budget of 3,200. This is where the earn free credits stuff comes in handy. You could easily earn a few hundred credits quickly. 

I'll add to this post later... I know I know a couple more tips, just can't remember them now ;-)

• northtownwood
    3 Posts
    Sat, Jun 9 2012 10:08 AM

apprciate reading some of these tips very helpfull. can anyone tell me ...it seems as tho i recieved a promotional avatar from lexus but cant figure out for the life of me how to get to accept it???

RSS