Forums

Help › Forums

How often does this happen?

Tue, Apr 10 2012 12:37 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • msmatkro
    4 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:43 PM

I just played in my first match play and, after 5 holes, my opponent just quit and disconnected. I lost the first 2 holes, squared the 3rd, and after I birdied the next two to pull all square he just quit. I have been just playing solo rounds to gain some skill before playing with others and now I'm wondering if playing with others is worth it if this is how many people play.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:12 PM

Yes, a lot of people play like this, especially randoms. 

Before you dive head first into the Multiplayer realm, it's best to make a few friends on the site and ensure that you won't be stranded. 

• Hewsey
    1,957 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:47 PM

Agree with Dark  &  IMO  a CC  is almost a must. Fellow CC members will have a hard time quitting  & then answering to the club

• msmatkro
    4 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:48 PM

Oh well, I'm still new enough (just make pro 90) that 2 birdies in a row is fun was a shame to have the match end like that. Back to solo rounds I guess LOL

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:52 PM

get involved with a good CC ,make friends ,dont let them put a black eye on all of us ,,,,more of us on  here ...playing for the love of the game of golf,and pride in being (gents ) and Ladies of course :)  

• easternguy
    301 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:10 PM

It happens far les frequently in match play...stroke play is another story.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 11:58 PM

Hewsey:

Agree with Dark  &  IMO  a CC  is almost a must. Fellow CC members will have a hard time quitting  & then answering to the club

Absolutely. 

A Country Club is a great place to start making friends. Find one that looks cool, professional, and most importantly, fun, and get to it! 

• Pryke
    295 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2012 12:55 AM

If a CC is not your thing, I made many friends through Alternate Shot. People play Alt. shot mainly for fun and quite often send friend requests after games.

• mgh221
    545 Posts
    Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:39 AM

therer are a lot of quitters and babies who can't handle a bogey or even the prospect of losing a match. but they don't represent the majority. i made all of my friends in random games untill i was invited to my current CC... about 180 of them to be frank so keep the faith and keep tryin man. and hey if they quit? sit in the lobby for the 5 minutes and take the free win :)

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:28 AM

Sadly, very often.

The other day I had two in a row bail before the first hole was over. In both instances, I'd dropped my approach within 3 feet. I waited, knowing that I'd either get a 'nice shot' and the game would continue, or I'd sit forever waiting for their disconnect to register. Sometimes it's best to get it over with early. It's really galling for someone who's losing to leave on the next to last hole. 

Country clubs are a good way to avoid this, but many have members who concentrate on the solo tourneys. Try to find one where the folk regularly play multi. 

• PAGES
RSS