Help › Forums

winds that come from 1:30 4:30 7:30 and 10:30 directions

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 26 2012 2:05 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gusser67
    30 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:55 AM

how can you calculate a 18 mph wind that points toward 1:30 direction using a clock as a guage for a 175 yard shot how many yards would you subtract

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 2:09 AM

You going to use topspin, no spin or backspin? Full shot or punch? There are numerous variations to consider, including club and ball quality.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 2:12 AM

Sometimes they affect the length and sometimes they don't.

• misstery
    705 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 2:15 AM

It also depends on whether or not the wind is actually blowing!!

The wind indicator is only a rough guide, It's hit and hope most of the time :)

From the fairway i'd subtract an extra 15 yds of power and aim about 15 yds to the right of the pin, and if I land on the green i'll be a very happy bunny!!

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 2:23 AM

Try this way. Its what I use and seems to work. Move the pointer to the same distance the other side of the clock. So wind blowing to 1.30, move the pointer to 10.30. Length of hole minus one third of the wind speed in yds. 175 - 6 =169. Add full backspin. Make usual allowances for up or downhill lays.

It seems to work!!!!

Mel

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 7:18 AM

hmmmm .. coffee has me wired for typin this morning...

1st,,, lemme say... I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE ALL THAT ..just giving ya my point of view,,

lets say ...every hole u stepped up on on ST ANN ... had that same wind for yer approach shot... if i was to tell you... take off ten yards and use full bottom.... man ... you would be back on here in this forum in about an hour calling me an idiot... ..

what i am saying is ... THERE IS NO MAJIK FORMULA ... 

some greens slope away... some have a hump u may even want to fly long to hit so the ball will stop ..some ya want it to roll up ... 

best thing is... work on ya PUTTING !!! .. hek i can set it all up to what i think is perfect... miss the ole dinger.... and well  ...30ft putt is what i see... 

so.. alot of ppl take notes.... whatever it takes... i just try and remember each green..and what or where it takes to land the ball to get it close...

anyway...have funn... an HIT EM GOOOD

peace ..2DF..

mabey someone will come and word it better... but i hope you get the jist of what i mean..

• maxwere
    919 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 7:31 AM

depends on club and balls, but it plays 13 yds longer and about 18 yds or 7 flag stick lengths on the diagonal with burner 2.0/callys.

• maxwere
    919 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 7:34 AM

sorry, you want the other way.  it really depends on how much spin.  with a l33 cally/burner 2.0 it plays 11-12 yds short, 17 yrds or 6.3 flag lengths on the diagonal.

• maxwere
    919 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 7:35 AM

full bs on both ^.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 3:14 PM

gusser67:
    18 mph wind that points toward 1:30 direction using a clock as a guage for a 175 yard shot how many yards would you subtract

Good Starting Point

About 11 yards less and 11 yards left. Switch to Chip to get the aiming grid working to judge where the point of aim will be.

Just a starting point. Spin and elevation are important concerns, as well as the reliability of your clubs. Different holes simply don't behave. Using the formula tweaked to perfection for spin and clubs will still leave you 5 yards short at Beth Page #1. This is where the note taking or super memory is a must. 

GL

• PAGES
RSS