Help › Forums

R11. 8 iron not consistant

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 15 2012 11:45 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 11:12 AM

Does any one else have any problems with the R11 8 iron.  Its got to the point where i cant trust it one bit.  I seem to get different out come every time i use it.  I could use full back spin in 10 mph HEADWIND one shot and get 152 yards, then next time same wind, same shot i might get 142 yards.  Its the same with no spin.  Some shots i will get the EXPECTED 156+ yards due to balls with no spin, then next time i might get 150 with no spin.  Most of the other clubs seem pretty consistent when i use spin, but the 8 iron is hit & miss.  Every shot it seems to give me different result, and most of the time its strange.  I cant remember it being this bad before, but it seems like wgt have altered the forgiveness too on the R11's as missing ding now seems to exaggerate the shot, even if you miss slightly opposite to wind.  Is WGT toughening the game up due to low scores using these clubs? or are there a new set coming out soon?

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 11:21 AM

chrisironsbones:
    Does any one else have any problems with the R11 8 iron

In a word, yes. It is inconsistent, more so than the other irons. And yes, misses are getting a bit worse (that's not the  R11's, that's VEM being turned up to 'fook off'. LOL

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 11:29 AM

yes ive noticed the above problems, so much ive been aiming left and missing ding to the right for example

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 11:48 AM

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/81817.aspx

I started a thread months ago. It hasn't changed ever since. Still trying to get a reasonable distance pattern. You can lose more yards against a wind with full backspin with the 7i. In some cases I have used full backspin and and the club goes full 150 yards, back off a bit and lost 15... or none. Learning to live with that.

• 7thwave
    556 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 11:55 AM

Second that. Although imo both the 8 AND 9 R11 irons have been totally unreliable in terms of distance from the beginning.  The last couple of days it's become way worse over the whole range of clubs. Slightest miss of the ding has balls flying all over the place. Something's up for sure. I'm ok with them toughening up the game (they are the coursemanagers), but why they don't inform the users is beyond me.

• Buckeye8084
    307 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 12:05 PM

I found the 7 iron for the G10(L59) and my current 2.0(79) irons are unreliable too. I have hit several shots and come up 10-15 yards short. I have no confidence every time I have to use it. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 12:08 PM

It depends on what you're trying to do with it, what ball you're using and how it's set up. 

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 1:41 PM

i have to bring this 1 up, i was going for the green on congressional par5. 3wood 248 yards to the pin 9mph straight tailwind...

i aim left for a bit of comfort take the shot but i hit the ding on the right side but wasnt quite on the ding and the ball flys off about 40 yrds right splash in the water lol i couldnt beleive it..

• Buggyyy
    1,963 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 2:09 PM

The Burner 2.0s are also very inconsistent withe the short irons. My 125 PW can range from 120 to 135 with any types of spin and a headwind. Maybe some tuning is needed. Is it possible to tune clubs after their release already, or are they secretive about it and make small changes to improve more fair play?

• TarheelsRule
    5,554 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 2:16 PM

I have found no issues with any of the R11 irons except the PW and the only issue I seem to have with this club is when I hit a shot at about 90%, punch works great, full shot great, it just seems to get a110 yard shot isn't easy for this club, I seem to be short and long with it equally, any suggestions would be appreciated.

• PAGES
RSS