Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Struggling to choose the right putter, help

Mon, Jul 1 2013 7:35 PM (45 replies)
  • Tp707
    4 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 2:47 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-ZA X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I’ve rented the Redwood ZB Putter, NIKE Method 001 Putter, now I’m renting the Rossa, which is the best out of the lot?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:32 AM

Tp707:

I’ve rented the Redwood ZB Putter, NIKE Method 001 Putter, now I’m renting the Rossa, which is the best out of the lot?

hi

they all are very good but I am not sure if there is the best from those. It depends on meter speed and scales and other attributes. After you have tried all 3, which one do you prefer? I generally prefer slower meter since ding for me is more important than 1/2 dot of precision.

-wgticon. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:47 AM

The various styles of putting are important here.

Are you a "ding" putter? => avoid the Rossa.

Are you an "off-ding" putter? avoid the Nike.

I'm not sure about the Redwoods.

• DAD111
    582 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:00 AM

Tp707:

After renting these, I would suggest you are the best judge of what's best for you.

For me, the Rossa wins hands down. More forgiving than stats suggest and penny for penny, probably the best value putter in the Pro shop. I haven't tried the Redwood but the Nike's slower meter was attractive.

Increments slightly different (10, 20, 50, 100, 150 and 300 feet ) and allowing for that foot or two extra took time to get used to. Depends on your credits or if you want a slower meter, but the Rossa would be my choice. I used it till level 80, but your putter is a personal thing. Good luck in whatever you choose...

Bob

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:12 AM

Tp707:

Good advice so far. Whatever you decide on, commit to it. You're going to struggle with any of them at the start until you develop the feel for it. This doesn't happen in a couple of rounds, either. Set up practice rounds with the faster green speeds that you will eventually be on as part of your learning. The putter is going to be with you a long time once you learn it. GL.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:49 AM

I think the Rossa should be the easiest to learn as all of it's scales are multiple.

• EasyEdward
    13,507 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 12:26 PM

Three things:

1)  The investment capita behind WGT will not like this but - reting does not prove anything IMHO regarding which club is better - a few rouds is not what it takes.

2) You have to stick with something - commit and let the scores go up a tad until you learn it

3) Buy something that you can afford 

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 12:28 PM

I have the rosse since 2 weeks, i  think it's a good  one and not expensive at all.

As for me, i'm not a good putter i miss lots of putts even with the rossa, i need again and again and again more practice, hope one day i progress.

i play with the starters balls since the begining, problem of budget and in belgium not many offers to gain free credits, sad. 

If i buy some sleeve of balls, is that going to help my putting skill or not ?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 12:57 PM

1) Of course the putter is only as good as the putter is :)

That is a reason not to buy the Spider - it may be too good in the first place, and later the Rossa is better.

2) AFAIK the Starter balls roll like custom balls, the difference is the meter speed. Any custom ball will reduce the speed and make putting (and the other strokes) easier.

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:17 PM
    ######################################################
                       My Redwood Putter level 72
    This Putter settiing  has been calibrated  by a Per Motion Ratio Calibrated on Very Fast Greens.  Just  Look!     {-o-o-}
        The 30ft setting has  5 movements thats 6.ft per motion!  
      The 45.ft setting has 5 movements thats  9.ft per motion! 
       The 90.ft setting has 7 movements thats 12.85 ft. per motion!  
       The 150.ft setting has 7 movements thats 16.66 ft. per motion!
        The 300.ft setting has 7 movements thats 33.33 ft. per motion                                                           How many movements does your putter have Per setting?      

To find out,  just count them out.  Once each movement, per setting  is counted, just divide the   maximum power setting,  to the movements you just counted. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RSS